thirty-eight

Areum sobbed alone as she made her way to her car. She held the door handle hesitantly and wiped her tears. A frown made its way to her face when she felt her right foot swollen and in pain due to working all day.

Being pregnant is hard.

Suddenly, a familiar hand snatched the car keys from her. She lifted her head and saw Heeseung staring at his reflection in the window. He exhaled heavily, "I'll take you to the culprit."

She nodded silently and went to the passenger's seat before getting in. She watched as he put on his seatbelt. They both sat silently in the vehicle, not looking at each other.

"I'm sorry that I told you to quit."

Areum glanced at him before averting her attention to the view outside the window. He reached for the steering wheel and rested his hands there. "I don't want to lose you."

"You're not going to lose me," she finally spoke up. "You have to understand, Areum. You are pregnant. I don't want to lose you and our child. How am I supposed to live without you?" He scowled.

She averted her attention to her fingers and played with them, thinking about what he said. He was right after all. She sighed and looked at him, "I will not quit my job for good."

"I understand," he nodded, "You love your job. And I wouldn't quit my job even if you ask me to."

"But," she paused, "I will stop working until the baby is out of my belly. Then, I will continue."

His lips curved into a soft smile, "You don't have to stop working for good. You can just work in the office. Let Ni-ki do the dirty work."

She let out a small laugh, "And you wonder why the kid hates you?"

He chuckled, "Are we good now?"

"No."

He stopped turning on the car engine and looked at her in surprise, "No?"

"I want you to massage my feet when we get home."

"Is it the pregnancy swelling?"

She pouted before nodding. He laughed and intertwined his free hand with hers before driving off to Doyun's house.

Daeun opened the door to a suite room. The helicopter had brought them to one of the luxurious hotels in the country. Sunghoon's smile grew even wider at the sight of a dinner table in the middle.

"I would like to have a romantic dinner with only you. And of course, we would get some privacy since there wouldn't be any reporters around," she said.

She scurried to his chair and pulled it out, letting him sit in it before going to her seat. He chuckled, "You know, I was supposed to let you sit in your chair. And I was supposed to plan for our date. The roles changed, huh?"

She grinned, "You've had a very rough day today, Dr Park. I should cheer you up," she grabbed a bottle of red wine before pouring it into his glass, "Let's forget whatever happened today. Your mother and all that."

He nodded and gulped down his wine to the last drop. She widened her eyes, amazed at how easy he drinks his alcohol. He rested his chin on the palm of his hand and admired her as she took a few sips of her wine.

"You're beautiful," he remarked out of the blue. She chuckled and admired his eyes, "Really?"

He hummed in response, "The most beautiful woman I've ever seen."

"Park Sunghoon," she narrowed her eyes, "Are you flirting with me?"

"Why can't I flirt with my girlfriend? Why? Are you shy?"

"No," she gulped down every last drop of her wine to hide her blush. She wiped her mouth with a napkin and looked away. He fixed his eyes on her before standing up.

Sunghoon put out a hand, motioning for her to take it. She stood up and held his hand, feeling the tingling sensation brushing against her skin. They both walked to the window and admired the tall buildings.

They were beautiful as if they were greeting them both. He pulled her into a back hug and kissed the back of her head, "I love you so much."

She turned around and rested her hands on his chest. "I bet you've said that to a lot of girls."

"No. You're the first one."

"Really?" She tried to suppress her proud smirk. He stared into her eyes deeply, "You've done so much for me tonight. You called for a helicopter and even booked an expensive hotel room to have dinner."

"I would like to give you something too."

She looked at him with confused eyes, "Hm?"

"I promise to make tonight the most memorable night that you can never forget."

He pulled her into a passionate kiss.