fifty-two

[ ten months later ]

Daeun stared at herself in the mirror as a stylist was putting pins into her hair. She exhaled heavily and held her chest with her trembling hand, feeling the nervousness eating her. The stylist noticed and gave her a lemon candy, "Eat this. It helps with your nervousness. Trust me."

Daeun thanked her and took the candy before eating it. She glanced at the frame she placed on the vanity table. A picture of her father hugging her seven-year-old self. She smiled softly and felt her heart ease a little.

The door to the room opened, revealing Areum and Edlyn. The detective had her son in her arms and excitedly approached Daeun.

"You look so beautiful!" She exclaimed and gave her son, Yejun to the bride. Daeun kissed the baby's cheeks, "You're so cute! It's been a while since I've seen you!"

"Daera is waiting outside with the boys. Sunghoon is already at the altar with Jay," Edlyn said as she took a few lemon sweets from the stylist's bag. "Ms Ahn, let's get you into your dress," the stylist said as she brought out an elegant wedding dress that might have cost half a person's kidney.

"Are those real diamonds?" Edlyn asked in awe as she touched the small diamonds. "We had it custom-made by Ms Ahn's favourite luxury store," the stylist explained as she helped the bride put on her dress. "The late former president paid for the dress with the money that he left for his beloved daughter. He would want her to have the wedding of her dreams."

Daeun stood up and gasped in awe when she looked at herself in the mirror. She still couldn't believe the day she'd wear a wedding dress would be that day. "Are you ready?" Areum asked and gave her the small flower bouquet.

The bride nodded and took a deep breath before entering the wedding hall. The pianist started playing a romantic melody and the doors to the hall opened. She walked down the aisle and saw Sunghoon waiting by the altar in his black suit.

He had a warm smile plastered on his face as he patiently waited for her to reach him. Jay tried his best to suppress his proud tears, turning around to face away from the guests. He stood next to Sunghoon and waited for the officiant to begin the wedding ceremony.

"There he is," Heeseung whispered as he took Yejun into his arms. Areum sat next to him and hugged his arm before resting her head on his shoulder. "I'm so proud of Sunghoon and Daeun," she muttered.

He kissed his wife's head and wrapped his arm around her, rubbing her shoulder gently. Edlyn and Jake who sat behind them watched Sunghoon and Daeun closely with teary eyes. Jiah sat next to her father with a happy smile. Sunghoon noticed the girl smiled and winked, earning a wave from her.

"Daeun surely beat all Sunghoon's exes. No one lasts longer with him than her," Edlyn said, earning a chuckle from her husband.

"I'm sorry we've never had a proper wedding before, honey," he apologised. She glanced at him and kissed his cheek, "I don't care about the wedding, Jake. The only thing that matters right now is I have you right next to me. And you gave me two little satans that I love so much."

He brightly smiled and leaned in to give her a quick kiss.

Daera, who just arrived at the hall with Daehyun sat next to Jiah. "Did I miss the wedding? Have they kissed yet?"

"Not yet, Aunty Daera. What took you so long?" Jiah asked, earning her parents' attention too. "That uncle of yours accidentally fed Daehyun with expired baby food. Now my son has an upset stomach all the time."

Jay looked at his wife and flinched when she gave him a death stare. He fixed his collar and gulped in fear. "Aunty Daera, you're scaring him," Jiah whispered. "That's the point," she answered and mouthed, "You'll handle our son later, you jerk."

The officiant sighed happily, "Now for the most awaited part of the ceremony. Park Sunghoon, do you agree to take Ahn Daeun as your wife?"

"I do," he said as he stared into her eyes. All the female guests squealed at how romantic he looked and some whispered to each other about how they envied Daeun.

"Look at how he looks at Daeun! I wish someone would look at me like that at my wedding," Edlyn cupped her mouth in awe. Heeseung heard her and chuckled before turning around to look at Jake.

"Wow, Mrs Sim, your husband must not love you very much," Jake sarcastically remarked before sulking.

"Do you, Ahn Daeun, take Park Sunghoon as your husband?"

"I do."

"Well then, I now pronounce you husband and wife. You may–"

Sunghoon wrapped his arms around her waist and instantly pulled her for a kiss. The officiant watched them with startled eyes before stepping away from the altar, "I guess I can end my speech right here. Goodbye, everyone."