forty-three

Daeun tightened her hands around the steering wheel as she sobbed alone, hoping that her father would be alive. She stepped on the pedal and tried to arrive at the destination as soon as possible. All the other cars around her honked as she was driving carelessly.

She noticed the clouds gathering in a group as they slowly turned grey. "Shit! Please don't rain right now."

Her phone suddenly rang. She flinched in surprise and what shocked her more was it was her father's contact number. She instantly grabbed her phone and picked up the call, "Who the fuck are you?! What the hell do you want? Let my father go!"

"Not even a 'hello'? I've missed you, Daeun."

"Mr Joo?" Her heart started beating nervously. She fixed her posture and gulped down her saliva out of fear, "Did you plan all this?"

"Yeah and Doyun too."

"Hi!" She could hear Doyun's voice near Mr Joo. She tried to calm herself down by taking deep breaths. "Please just let my father go. If you want the president position, just discuss it nicely with my dad. Please don't hurt him," she begged in tears.

"No," Mr Joo said easily before laughing, "You're not even here yet. I want to see you beg while kneeling in front of me. Imagine your father's reaction when he sees you kneel in front of me."

"Daeun-ah! I have a surprise for you! Too bad you can't be here to see it directly. You're too late! What's taking you so long?" Doyun asked with a whiny voice, "Change to video call."

She pressed the video call button and saw her father's face on the screen. "Dad?"

Doyun suddenly appeared and smirked, "Although your birthday is not around yet, happy birthday to my beloved Ahn Daeun."

He took out a gun and shot Mr Ahn in the head. The president's body became weak before falling to the floor.

"No!" Daeun stopped the car at the side of the road as tears started trickling down heavily. Mr Joo came onto the screen and patted Doyun's back, "Great gift, Doyun. I also have a gift for you, Daeun. In 3, 2, 1. Happy birthday!"

A huge lorry came towards her out of the blue and crashed into her. Sunghoon's car rolled around and her body flew out of the vehicle. She winced in pain and stared at the dark sky. The last tear fell from her eye and after that, she felt darkness taking over her.

Sunghoon dropped the glass that he was holding. The glass fell to the floor before shattering into pieces. Jay frowned and smacked his arm, "What is the matter with you? Is there something wrong?"

"I feel uneasy. It's like something happened. But I don't know what it is."

"Maybe it's just some random feeling," Daera said before pouring herself a glass of wine.

Areum soon came into the kitchen before asking, "Have you seen Daeun?"

"No, why? Isn't she asleep in her bedroom?" Jay asked. "No, I thought she was with you the whole time?" It was Sunghoon's turn to ask. "I was with Heeseung all the time," she answered back.

"I'm having a bad feeling about this. We should look for her," Daera placed the glass on the kitchen island before hopping off her seat. "I'll drive, sweetheart. You just drank alcohol," Jay said and led his wife out of the house, towards his car.

Sunghoon's heart dropped when his car was nowhere in sight.

Daeun, where are you?

Where did you take my car?

Are you safe?

"Get in," Jay said and waited for him. He nodded and got into the back seat. Areum followed after, sitting next to him.

Jay prayed to God that nothing was going to happen to Daeun. He kept driving until he saw a crashed convertible car surrounded by police cars on an empty road. "Isn't that your car, Sunghoon?"

"No, no, no!" Sunghoon cupped his mouth out of disbelief and jumped out of the vehicle. "What happened?!" He ran to his crashed car but was pushed back by the police.

"Do you know her? Do you know the driver?"

"Yes, she's my girlfriend."

"Apparently, a lorry crashed into the car and her body flew out of the vehicle. We already had an ambulance bring her to the nearest hospital."

Areum got out of the car and asked, "Do you know how the accident occurred? There must be something that affected this."

"All the information we got was that she was on the call with her father before the accident happened. Here is her phone," the policeman said before giving her the gadget.

Areum handed it to Sunghoon before patting his back to comfort him. "Let's go to the hospital."

He was focused on pressing some random buttons on the phone until a call from earlier played.

"You're not even here yet. I want to see you beg while kneeling in front of me. Imagine your father's reaction when he sees you kneel in front of me."

He exchanged confused glances with the detective. She snatched the phone and kept hitting it so that it would play more audio.

"Although your birthday is not around yet, happy birthday to my beloved Ahn Daeun."

They jumped in shock when there was a gunshot. Areum's hands trembled as she clenched the phone tighter and tighter, "I will kill Mr Joo and Ha Doyun."