fifteen

Areum smiled brightly as she walked down the aisle with her father. Heeseung stood handsomely at the altar as he tried to suppress his tears. The famous pianist they hired played a romantic melody on the piano.

Sunghoon silently clapped his hands and nodded at Heeseung, earning a smile from the groom. He turned to look at Daeun who was wiping her tears and exhaling heavily.

"You can cry, you know. You don't have to hold it back."

She sobbed, "I want to but my makeup is worth a thousand dollars."

She watched as Areum arrived at the altar and held Heeseung's hand tightly. They both stared into each other's eyes and she could see Heeseung whispering something to his bride. Probably telling her how beautiful she looked.

"We are gathered here today to celebrate Lee Heeseung and Jung Areum's wedding."

Sunghoon looked at Daeun who was still watching the officiant saying his speech. He quietly intertwined her hand with hers and kept his eyes fixed at Heeseung.

She flinched at the sudden contact but didn't put any effort into pulling away. She rested her head on his shoulder and enjoyed the wedding ceremony.

It was time for the bride and groom to read their speech or vows to each other. Areum couldn't help but giggle when she saw Heeseung's hands tremble as he held his speech card.

"Would you like to start first, Mr Lee?"

He nodded and took a deep breath, "Jung Areum."

"The first time I saw you was when we were both sixteen. We went to the same schools and even got seated next to each other every year. You caught my attention when you scored the highest in the exams and you're the reason why I'm competitive now."

All the guests laughed and waited for him to continue.

"Day by day, we kept arguing and fighting to conquer the first place in class. And then I never realised I fell in love with you until you confessed to me on that special night when I took you to our favourite park for the first time."

"We've been through a lot of challenges together and that's what makes our relationship stronger. Just know that I will always love you. And don't ever be afraid to tell me anything that's been bothering you."

Areum took a deep breath and looked at her card, "Lee Heeseung."

"Before I fell in love with you, you have always been the smart, annoying kid who keeps telling me to get second place in class. And we argued a lot after that and met each other again after fourteen years. And at that time, I was in denial that fate may have wanted us to reunite again."

"Meeting you again was the best thing that ever happened in my life. And I have never imagined marrying you and spending the rest of my life with you. Us arguing and beating each other up during high school will always be the best memories for me."

The officiant smiled widely, "You both have a lovely story together."

"Lee Heeseung, do you agree to take Jung Areum as your lovely wedded wife?"

"I do."

Areum's heart started racing when she heard his words. The officiant started asking her the same question.

"Jung Areum, do you agree to take Lee Heeseung as your lovely wedded husband?"

"I do," she breathed out.

Heeseung couldn't help and instantly wrapped his arm around her waist. He pulled her into a kiss, earning cheers from the guests. The officiant nervously laughed, "You may kiss the bride. Although, you have done that already."

"That was quick," Daeun muttered, surprised at the sudden kiss.

The wedding soon continued at the venue's garden. Daeun walked around, admiring the white roses that were decorated to create a flowering pathway. "How's the wedding?" A familiar voice asked.

She frowned and ignored Doyun. He silently followed her around, "Are you going to keep ignoring me?"

"Yes."

"Why?"

She finally turned to look at him and scoffed, "Have you forgotten about what you did to me? You almost killed me! And you expect me to still smile and talk to you?"

"I thought I said sorry. What more do you want?"

"I want you to go away and disappear from my life. I don't need you anymore. Stop acting like you're my family's close friend because you're not. You're making my parents uncomfortable."

She stormed to an empty area of the garden where only muffled sounds of people celebrating could be heard.

Why did I come here alone with Doyun?

She tried to be as composed as possible to hide her nervousness from him. She walked around the fountain, hoping that he would stop following her but he did.

"We're alone now, Daeun," he smirked. She stopped walking and gave him a death stare.

"We are not going to be friends or anything, Doyun. You hit me with your car, drove away and broke up with me in the cruellest way possible."

"That was before, Daeun. I've changed!" He grabbed her hand. She tried to push him away but failed, "Let me go!"

She gathered her strength and pushed him into the fountain. She gasped and cupped her mouth as she watched him getting drenched.

He gasped for air and chuckled, feeling annoyed. She quickly turned around to leave but failed when he immediately grabbed her arm and pulled her into the fountain with him.

She stood up and wiped her face before slapping his cheek hard. "What the fuck is wrong with you?!"

"Ahn Daeun."

They both turned around and saw Mr Lee and Mr Ahn standing in front of them with shocked expressions. Some of the guests stood behind them, whispering to each other. Sunghoon frowned and approached her, "Are you okay?"

She felt guilty for embarrassing him, knowing that people already knew her as his girlfriend. And to top that, she was found alone with Doyun in a secluded area, drenched in the fountain.

Sunghoon took off his coat and wrapped it around her, "Come. You'll get cold."

She nodded and spotted Bina folding her arms at the back, giving them amused looks.