nineteen

Daeun sprinted out of her bedroom, smiling excitedly. The sun was already up in the sky and she could see cars driving on the road from the window of her penthouse. She hurried her way to the shoe closet to find the perfect shoes for the day.

Her hands dusted off her dress and she took a deep breath before leaving her house. She slowly closed the door and stared at Sunghoon's door.

Memories of him pulling her closer and his hands wrapped around her were suddenly replaying in her mind. She smiled to herself and sighed before ringing his doorbell.

Before she even got to press the doorbell, Sunghoon opened the door and looked at her in surprise. She examined him from head to toe in awe. He was wearing a nice shirt and had a doctor's coat on.

He admired her and couldn't hide his smile that was slowly appearing, "You look wonderful."

"Oh," she glanced at the dress that she was wearing, "This is my first time wearing it. My mom bought it for me last year."

Doyun never liked me wearing this. He said it makes me look old and ugly.

"We should hurry then. We're going to be late."

She nodded and followed behind him, "Wait!"

Her sudden call stopped him and left him dumbfounded. She tiptoed and pulled him into a quick peck. "Let's go now," she grinned and scurried to the elevator. He followed after and pressed the ground floor button.

"I have to tell you something," she glanced at him before continuing, "My father invited us to his event."

"What kind of event?"

"You know those kinds of events when a Queen greets her people? Make it a president with his family's version. He would love for you to join."

The elevator door opened and they both got out before heading to his car. "I would love to join, but I have work. And I don't think I'm suitable to join."

"I haven't even told you the date yet. How can you be busy?"

"I'm a surgeon, Daeun. I'm always busy."

"Do you really like to decline an invitation made by your girlfriend's father? I suppose you inherited this attitude of yours from your parents then?"

He stopped his hand that was reaching the car handle. Her words made him hesitate. His smile then turned into a frown.

"One thing I hate the most is when people start to equate me with my parents. I'm not in the mood. You can drive yourself to school. I have some work at the hospital."

He ignored her and got into his car before driving away. She scoffed and sighed, "Did I say something wrong?"

"Do you really like to decline an invitation made by your girlfriend's father? I suppose you inherited this attitude of yours from your parents then?"

Sunghoon sighed and rested his head on the steering wheel. He didn't mean to lash out at Daeun and left her behind. He didn't even have any work to do at the hospital. He flinched when a person knocked on the window of his car.

He saw Heeseung and got out of the car. "What are you doing here?"

Heeseung chuckled and folded his arms, "I would like to ask the same thing. I just had a few things to handle at the hospital. I'm heading home now but I know you don't have anything to do at the hospital. What brings you here?"

He thought for a while and breathed out, "I need to tell you something."

"So you're telling me, your relationship is fake? All because of that student, Ha Doyun?"

Sunghoon nodded and drank his coffee. "And you're here because Daeun commented something about your parents?" Heeseung continued. He nodded again.

"Aren't you being petty right now? She doesn't know what happened between you and your parents. If you had explained it to her, she wouldn't even comment on the topic."

"Right?" Sunghoon frowned, "I am petty."

"So you left her behind? How can she go to medical school?"

"She has a car."

"Well then," Heeseung leaned back against her chair, "I heard she's very hot-tempered so she'll probably kill you later for leaving her. That was what I heard from my mom."

Daeun watched as the other students left the building. She stood at the entrance and took a deep breath. She could smell the rain already and felt her heart racing rapidly. She stepped backwards and bumped into a male student. He groaned out of annoyance as she apologised.

I can't go home like this.

Why does it rain often lately?

She tightened her hand around her bag and turned around to enter the building again.

"Whenever it rains, you're welcome to stay here for a while. Until the rain stops."

Those words that Sunghoon said. Could she still stay in his office even after she angered him earlier? She wondered.