twenty-one

Daeun walked around the streets, looking at the restaurants and shops. She couldn't remember the last time she took a stroll around the shops by the street. The wind was extra chilly since the rain had stopped. She hugged herself and smiled at the old ladies that greeted her.

A shop that gives photography services caught her attention. She glanced at the canvas that was displayed in the window. A picture of a doctor graduating with his parents standing next to him.

It reminded her about Sunghoon. Seeing the parents in the picture made her wonder what did Sunghoon's parents do to make him hate them so much.

A random car's headlights caught her attention and made her turn around. She watched as the vehicle moved recklessly on the road and realised it was heading towards her.

She stood there frozen, not knowing what to do. Her heart raced rapidly as her dark memories started appearing out of the blue. She closed her eyes and took a deep breath.

"Miss!" A policeman pushed her to the side. They both fell to the ground and watched as the car crashed into a tree. She widened her eyes and held her chest, calming her heart down.

"Are you alright, miss?! You shouldn't stand there!"

Her hands started to tremble as she watched smoke coming out of the car. The driver inside was bleeding badly as he had his head rested against the steering wheel.

"Let's get you checked up," the policeman said and helped her to the ambulance that had just arrived.

The next day arrived as usual. Sunghoon got out of his car and looked around the parking lot, searching for Daeun's car. He sighed and took out his doctor's coat from the backseat before walking into the school.

The other students greeted him, making him smile back. He entered his lecture hall and saw the students already taking their seats. Daeun was still nowhere to be found.

The students glanced at each other when he released a heavy sigh. "You'll be having a mini test today because I say so. I am not that happy with the results of the previous test. The papers will be graded today so please do your very best," he said before handing the papers to the students.

The door suddenly slammed open, revealing a panting Daeun with a cotton ball on her head that had a little blood on it. "I'm sorry, I'm late."

He ignored her and continued giving the students their test papers. He sneaked a glance at her, seeing her sitting at the back where no one could bother her. She took a deep breath and fixed her posture.

"If you're late again after this, I won't tolerate it and I will lock you outside," Sunghoon said sternly. Daeun gulped down her saliva, intimidated by his words. "Yes, professor."

Bina who was sitting at the front furrowed her eyebrows.

Did they argue?

Sunghoon went straight to his office after his lecture ended. He placed the papers on his desk and ran his fingers through his hair tiredly. Daeun's paper that was placed on the very top caught his attention. He picked it up and examined her answers.

She did better on the paper than when she had the surgery test.

He turned to the next page and saw her scribblings on the corner of the paper. It instantly reminded him of the little smiley faces on Edlyn and Jake's wedding document.

Daeun had written "I'm sorry" with some cute sad faces next to it. He turned to another page again and saw her writing "Forgive me".

He couldn't help but giggle at the way she was trying to apologise. He turned to the last page and saw her writing "Are you busy during lunchtime? Shall we have lunch together?"

Her question made his heart flutter. He cleared his throat and peeked at the words again.

Ahn Daeun wants to have lunch with me!

He grinned and giggled as he jumped around his office like a six-year-old. The door opened out of the blue, revealing Jay holding a file. He narrowed his eyes at Sunghoon before closing the door. He wasn't even bothered to ask him what was going on and assumed it was something stupid.