twenty-two

Sunghoon waited at the entrance nervously. He glanced at his watch numerous times, waiting for Daeun to be done with her lectures. He turned around and saw her walking toward him with a soft smile.

She reached him and took a deep breath, "Hey."

"Hey," his lips curved into a small smile. She nodded and lowered her gaze shyly, "I'm sorry for being ignorant and offending you. I don't know what happened between you and your parents. And if you're not ready to tell me, then I won't force you."

Her words made his smile soften. "It's alright."

He lent her an arm for her to wrap hers with and they both went out of the building. The clouds in the sky turned grey and thunder finally made its sound. She scowled, "Why does it keep raining? It was sunny this morning."

Suddenly, he stepped behind her and held an umbrella above their heads. She widened her eyes and jumped in surprise. She turned around and saw him standing tall in front of her, grinning, "Shall we, Daeun-ah?"

The way he called her name made butterflies go crazy inside her stomach. If he kept being like that, she would start liking the rain. He intertwined his hand with hers and led her to his car.

He drove her to his favourite restaurant and parked the car near the building since the rain got heavy. She gulped down her saliva and held the door handle hesitantly, seeing the rain already pouring against the window for her to see outside.

He immediately got out of the car with an umbrella and opened her car door. "Careful," he said and helped her step out of the vehicle. She silently calmed herself down, holding her chest.

Her body flinched out of the blue when she felt him putting his coat on her to keep her warm. "It's cold. You'll get sick," he said, his eyes looking at the restaurant entrance.

The way he said it without even looking at her made him appear more attractive. She cleared her throat and let him lead her to the restaurant.

"Welcome, Dr Park," the manager greeted, "Our chefs will serve the meals very shortly."

Daeun looked around the empty restaurant, "Where is everyone?"

"I rented the restaurant."

"What?"

"I figured you might be uncomfortable being in public since you're the president's daughter. People might ask you for pictures and autographs. Or reporters could even come and take your pictures without your consent."

She chuckled and tried to suppress her smile but failed, "Thank you. For everything."

One of the waiters led them to a table directly next to the window where she could see the rain clearly. She hesitantly sat across from Sunghoon and smiled at the waiter, "Thank you."

Sunghoon noticed what was going on and stood back up before taking a seat next to her. He leaned forward to make sure she couldn't see the rain.

"How's the test?" He tried to change the topic and flashed her his infamous cute smile. She laughed and realised he was trying to make her comfortable and relaxed.

She rested her elbow on the table and leaned toward him, "Are you always the one who creates the exam papers? Your questions are quite hard."

"That means I did a great job."

They both laughed and stared into each other's eyes for a while. Thunder suddenly appeared, creating a loud sound that scared them and all the restaurant staff.

He held her hand and caressed it as he tried to have a conversation to distract her. "Do you know Heeseung used to hate Areum so much? He even vowed not to fall in love with her. Now look who's head over heels for her."

She kept her eyes on him and didn't even realise her smile appeared. Her heart created an unfamiliar feeling and she felt her stomach start to get uneasy.

It felt like there was a garden of roses in her heart.

That was when she realised she was deeply in love with him.