twenty-seven

"Mom?"

The woman stared at Sunghoon with her horrified eyes. She examined his facial features and realised he looked just like her. How could she not remember him at all? He was her son after all.

"Sunghoon?" She smirked and folded her arms, "Wow, you grew up into a handsome young man."

Daeun watched them interact silently and examined his expressions. He looked scared and upset all at once.

"How's your father?" His mother asked. "He's dead," he answered as he gritted his teeth out of anger.

"Oh, pathetic," she sighed and walked closer to her son. "Look at you," she reached her hand to touch his cheek. He slapped her hand away, "Don't touch me with those filthy hands."

His mother got mad and slapped him in the face. Daeun ran towards them and pushed her away, "Stop!"

Sunghoon fell to the floor and held his stinging cheek. He was used to it. His mother's hobby was slapping him and his father's favourite thing to do was beating him with a belt. He wasn't surprised if the first thing his mother does when they meet again was giving him a slap across the face.

"Who are you?" the woman asked out of annoyance. Daeun gave her a death stare, "I'm his girlfriend. Don't you ever touch him! Leave or I'll call the security to drag you outside."

The woman stepped closer to Daeun and scoffed, "Wow, Sunghoon. You got yourself the daughter of the president."

She smirked at Daeun before leaving them in the hallway. Daeun immediately went to Sunghoon and kneeled in front of him, "Sunghoon-ah."

He lowered his head and avoided her gaze, "I have to go."

He instantly stood up and left her alone. She watched him disappear out of her sight and let out a heavy exhale.

Daeun arrived in front of her house and hesitantly reached for the doorknob. She turned around and looked at Sunghoon's door. He had left the event early and it made her worried sick. She never knew her uncle's scandal would be his mother.

No wonder he hates his mother. She left him all alone.

She approached his door before knocking on it. "Sunghoon!" She called but there was no response. She called again and he still didn't answer. She gave up and leaned against the wall before sliding down.

I'm going to wait until you open the door.

With that, she took a deep breath before closing her eyes tiredly.

On the other side of the door, the house was cold and dark. Just like the owner's heart. Sunghoon hugged his knees and buried his face into them as he curled up into a ball against the door. He heard Daeun's voice calling for him but chose to ignore it.

If I didn't go to the event, I wouldn't have met her.

He smacked his head with his clenched fists numerous times as he cried alone. The darkest memories he had came flooding back into his mind.

"Mom! Don't go!" A six-year-old Sunghoon bawled his eyes out as he held his mother's hand. She pushed him away and wiped her hands with the hem of her dress, "Disgusting! Get your filthy hands away from me."

"I don't want to live with dad!"

Mrs Park rolled her eyes and held both of his shoulders, "You think I want to be with you? You only know how to give burdens."

His heart broke into pieces as he heard her words. He watched as she left the house and slammed the entrance door closed.

Sunghoon hit his chest continuously as he felt pain rising. He felt more tears coming out of his eyes. He closed his eyes tiredly before falling into a deep slumber, hoping for the memories to go away.