thirty-three

Bina sneaked into her mother's office and saw the yellow envelope just like the maids said. She rushed to the desk and opened the envelope. Her heart dropped at the sight of her father's pictures with an unknown woman.

A picture of him kissing her in his car, a picture of them entering a hotel room and many more. She took out another paper that had the information about the woman. The woman did have the same birthday as hers. That made her angry even more. Knowing that her father preferred to celebrate his mistress's birthday more than hers.

Her hands trembled as she stole a few pictures and put them into her pocket. She put the envelope back to where it was before and ran out of the office. She left the house and got into her car before driving away to somewhere she doesn't even know.

She just wanted to escape. She felt so embarrassed and disappointed. All this time she thought she had the perfect family. She didn't know her family was torn apart. She thought her parents loved each other very much and that her father was working hard to provide for all of them.

It turned out she was wrong. He was working hard to provide for his mistress.

Bina stared emptily at the lake in front of her. She was sitting on a bench with bottles of beer next to her. She gulped down every last bit of alcohol before opening another bottle.

Warm tears trickled down her cheeks. She felt pathetic crying alone while being drunk. She wanted to know about the secrets from her parents, not from the maids' gossip.

An unknown man soon came and snatched the bottle of beer from her. She scowled and pushed him away, "Who the hell are you?" She asked drunkenly.

"You drove here alone. If you're drunk, how are you going to go home?"

"I don't want to go home!" She cried out, "I hate my parents. I hate everyone in that house."

She hit his chest continuously before sitting on the ground, crying her heart out. The man frowned and exhaled heavily.

"Get up," he said sternly before holding both of her shoulders, "I don't know what happened. But you have to get up."

She obeyed and sat back down on the bench. He examined all the beer bottles, "Stay here. I'll buy you a bottle of water."

She wiped her tears with the sleeves of her coat and waited for him to come back.

He came back with two bottles of water and a box of mint chocolate milk. She took one water bottle and drank it while watching him drink his milk.

"You're like a little kid," she laughed. He gave her a death stare, "It's my favourite flavoured milk."

"Fine. I won't judge."

He put the milk aside and took a deep breath, "What's your name?"

She glanced at him, "Ahn Bina. You?"

"Kim Sunoo."

"That's a nice name," she said and they both smiled at each other, finding each other's presence comfortable.

Sunghoon sat at the dining table, staring at the colourful yarns with a frustrated expression. He then averted his attention to the knitting needle next to the red yarn.

"I want to give Daeun something. Like a gift."

"Just remember that the things you make by yourself are more precious than the things you buy," Heeseung said on the other side of the call.

Sunghoon tightened his grip around his phone and stood in front of the window, staring at the tall buildings.

"I learned how to knit because of Areum. I knitted a scarf and also many sweaters for her. Maybe you can try it too."

"Knitting?"

He took a deep breath and nodded, "Right. A scarf."

He picked up the knitting needles and took a red yarn. He put on a tutorial video and carefully followed it so that the scarf wouldn't be ruined.