"Hm?"

By the time the doorbell rings I've just finished up the last of the waffles. I make eye contact with auggie before walking to the door. "Baby bell!" My eyes go wide and I try to smile. I'm still not used to her calling me that outside of making fun of me.

"Hi Isabel. Hello Cloud." I glance behind her. "Aaron." I think he might've smiled at me but I quickly turned to let them in. I slightly jump when I turn all the way round though.

Auggie is making a face. A not very amused face. I give him a look and mouth be nice. He gives me a bored look before turning to go sit at the table. I feel a tap on shoulder and look back to see Isabel. "How do you live with him if he doesn't talk?"

I'm slightly taken back by the boldness of her question but choose to ignore it. "I'm really just his nurse. We don't interact as much as you think." I feel like everyone can tell when I'm lying. "But we use sign language to communicate if necessary." She nods before telling Aaron to grab the portable baby seat from the car.

With a small smile I direct her to the table where I have eggs, bacon, sausage, waffles, French toast, pancakes, (because auggie prefers them to waffles) apple juice, (because if I remember correctly no one here likes orange juice more than apple juice) fruit, syrup, other toppings and milk because even though auggie likes apple juice he prefers milk with breakfast.

"Oh my goodness! I love breakfast!" I nod while sitting next to auggie. When aaron comes back with the seat he also brings a rather awkward tension with him but I try to ignore it.

Maybe if I just don't say a word to him, don't even glance at him then everything will be okay. I can continue pretending like I'm 100% okay with Isabel being in the house and auggie can continue acting like he doesn't speak.

Truth be told he's really not acting though. With the way he still doesn't speak to new people I'm starting to think he had a speech impediment as a child.

Not that that's any of my business.

"Let's dig in." Isabel smiles at me and quickly fills her plate while I do the same. When I look at auggie I see he's not doing anything so I softly jut my head in the direction of the pancakes but he shakes his head.

I subtly pout at him before furrowing my brows. He signs back, I'll eat later. and I bite my cheek. Why doesn't he want to eat with them?

I give him one last glance before subtly sliding a small plate of fruit in front of him and cutting into my waffles.

"So bell," I stop the bacon coming towards my mouth and glance up at Isabel. "Have you talked to mom recently?" I give her a confused look. "Not in like a week, why?" Is there something I should know? Is something wrong with her?

"Oh, she said she was trying to have dinner with you soon." My confusion never leaves. Why would she not tell me about having dinner with me?

I nod and tell her that I'll text her after lunch.

About ten minutes and awkward silence later someone I really wish wouldnt decides to speak up. "So Bella, how have you been?" I glance at auggie before softy wiping my mouth off.

"Arabella. And I've been good." I hear nervous laughter so i look up at Isabel. "C'mon bell. Don't be like that." I give her a confused look. "Like what?"

She opens and closes her mouth a couple times before looking over to her child. I look back over to Aaron and see that he's still in the same jaw dropped position. "How about you?"

He slightly jumps before nodding and quietly saying he's been good as well. I nod before going back to subtly putting food on auggie's plate.
-
"I'm so sorry about having to cut our time short." I shake my head. "It's okay. You guys get home safe." She nods before walking back to her car.