Five Steps

"I wanna build a snowman Auggie!"

"Baby you have no gloves, your hands will freeze."

I give him a look. A pouty look. So he won't try and talk me out of it. "Bella, dear. I don't want to deny you things. I really don't but I'd rather you didn't lose your hands. All I'm asking is that you go inside and get gloves." I cock my head.

If that's all he wanted he should've started with that.

I quickly run inside and struggle to find a pair of gloves but when I do I run outside just as fast.

When I get outside he's already started forming the first ball and I grin while running to him. "I want it to be HUGE auggie!" He smiles back at.

"How huge baby?"

"As big as me!" His smile never leaves as he nods his head and starts rolling the snowball on the ground.

I know I sound pretty childish but despite having an alright childhood I've never built a snowman before and with the snow being this tall....

I just feel like we could make it pretty big.
-
And we did. The snowman was about my height with Auggie doing a good portion of the work. Only because apparently I "don't make good snowballs" or something.

He said I don't make them round enough. He's a liar. He just thinks he's better than me.

Now I have a total of three days until Auggie's birthday surprise and thankfully they are clearing the roads today and putting salt down.

Not that it would be a big deal because I could just move our plans back but I would love to do it on his actual birthday.

There's only a couple things to take care of now. I have everything I need I just need time to get it to the surprise. Which will really only take me a couple of minutes but I have no idea how I'm gonna do it without Auggie.

I'll figure it out.

"My love!"

My head snaps up from watching the boys play to where auggie now stands in the hallway.

"It's December first." My heart rate picks up at the thought of him asking about his birthday- because I am a terrible liar- but more importantly because I hope he hasn't found out.

But nonetheless I smile at him and say, "Yes. What does that mean?" His eyebrows knit together and his head falls at an angle.

"You told me two weeks ago to remind you when it was December first because we need to decorate the house." My eyes light up as i remember.

"Oh my goodness! Yes! I almost forgot, thank you." That would explain why he came down here fully dressed but now it's my turn!

I quickly run upstairs to my closet and pick out a black bodysuit, my chestnut platform mini uggs, and my big brown teddy bear jacket.

Once I'm all dressed I grab my mini backpack and go back downstairs to auggie

"Ready to go dear?" I nod my head and we all but run to the car. Not that we had to actually go outside yet but the garage is freezing.

"Okay so we need a tree, and lots of decorations for the inside and outside and I want to get stuff to decorate our bedrooms. I know that you don't really like Christmas but I want to sleep in a Christmas bedroom and I don't wanna sleep in separate rooms."

As I continue to ramble on while driving I feel auggie grab my hand. I stop talking long enough to glance at him but continue on with my words.

"And I know that you dislike shopping but we'll probably have to go to a few stores but this place is a great start." When I put the car in park I look over at him and see him already staring.

"Why are you looking at me like that?"

"Like what?"

"Like that. Like I'm the only thing you see!" He smiles at me and begins rubbing his thumb on my already enclosed hand. "You are the only thing I see." I playfully roll my eyes before unbuckling.

"And I don't hate Christmas-"

"I didn't say hate, I said dislike." He gives me a look. "Okay. I don't dislike Christmas. It's true that I've never quite enjoyed it as much as you seem to but I'm sure this year will be different."

I smile as I realize he's referring to this Christmas being with me. "Yes. It will be different." He nods as we begin going through aisles upon aisles of Christmas decor.
-
By the time we finish in target three hours have passed but we did find a lot of the stuff we needed.

"Did you wanna find something to eat, hon?" He takes in a deep breath. "Uh. I'm not too hungry right now. I could go for a snack or something." I nod and grab my bag.

"You put goldfish in here. And I think chees its!" He nods before grabbing both little baggies.

"You need to snack as well, love." I nod while grabbing the bag of goldfish. He doesn't like them.

"I don't wanna be out for too much longer because I'm getting cold." He nods before grabbing his phone.

"I'm your lock screen?" He looks up at me confused. "Did you not know?" I shake my head. I honestly had no idea. Every time he hands me his phone it's already unlocked and his home screen is the boys.

He locks his phone back before turning it on so I can see and leans over. I continue to munch as I look at a picture of me sleeping. Completely naked.

Thankfully I'm on my stomach so you can't see anything but that little fact doesn't stop my from choking on my goldfish.

"What the heck auggie!" He grins while handing me my water bottle.

I shove his phone out of my face and continue eating so we can get out.

When we get inside I quickly direct him to the home aisles. We got most of what I want for the rooms and such but i still want a few more things.

"Baby. Look." I tear my eyes away from the blankets to see him holding up discarded matching Christmas pajamas.

"You'd match with me?" His eyes soften and his shoulders get a tad bit lower as he steps forward. "I'd match you everyday if it meant you'd look at me like that again."

I smile as my cheeks grow warm and he puts the clothes in the cart. I also put a couple pillows and a red checkered blanket for the boys in the cart.

"Oo babe. Can we get the boys some cute pjs?" His brows raise and I watch as his breathing picks up.

"Are you okay? Is something wrong? What happened?" He shakes his head. "It's the first time you called me babe. I just need a minute." I watch as he turns from me and his hand comes up to his chest.

He's such a baby sometimes. When he turns back around his breathing is back to normal. "I'm sure that's not the first time and even if it was, was that not a but dramatic?" He shakes his head.

"Not at all."

I roll my eyes and start to walk away from him. Not that it would matter how far I got though. Five of my steps is one of his.