The Journal - 25

You looked at him for a slight moment before you glanced at the journal he had set down. You gulped.

The man you had bumped into was him.

He had some of the photos... but which ones? You hoped it wasn't any of the batman ones...

You felt him scoot his chair closer, slightly resting his arm on both your arm rest and his own. You couldn't even look at him.

"Thank you for joining us Mr Wayne....." Mr fox cleared his throat.

You opened your notebook, your heart beating in your throat. Not only was he close to you, but he also had some of those photos. You didn't want to face him.

The meeting seemed to drag on and on, as multiple people talked, but Bruce remained silent, observing. You hadn't been contributing anything until someone called on you.

"Miss l/n, concerning your relatively new employment here and lack of background check, what do you have to say about the current increase in corrupted workplaces? "

One of the hiring agents questioned you. You felt targeted, but took a deep breath.

As you were about to speak, Bruce's arm slid from off of your arm rest and to his side.

"Well... I'd say that its more than common that a background check doesn't always show whos corrupt or not.... and....even...... if I didn't receive one, I am------"

You felt Bruce's hand slide onto your thigh, slightly touching your skin, as you were wearing a business skirt. He brushed his finger back and forth on your leg, hidden under the table. He might've been doing that to comfort you, but it only made your stomach flutter.

You cleared your throat looking at the hiring agent. "I am still trustworthy-"

Bruce leaned back in his chair, letting his hand slip from your leg. The HA nodded and remained silent.

"Onto the next frame of business... current damages that have occured during the past few parties either sponsored or hosted by Wayne Enterprises..." Mr fox began

A few people in the room looked over at you and Bruce.

Mr Fox turned to the glass panels of the meeting room and pulled down a projector canvas.

You noticed just now what a beautiful view of Gotham you had just in that tiny office room. You wondered who decided to make the walls glass, and why.

Soon, Fox turned on the projector and began to display some of the costs of damages.

"So far, we have escaped by paying these damages to the venue owners... however, due to the media, we are constantly being put in the spotlight."

One of the men shifted in their seat and cleared his throat.

"It's because of the batman isn't it? He's caused an uproar and surge in the media that whatever he does and wherever he goes is covered." The man snarled.

"I agree. It's because of that vigilante. Honestly, I don't see what he does for this city, even from a non business perspective-" The hiring woman from earlier said.

You felt your muscles tighten in reaction to the batman being brought up and you cleared your throat. You couldn't let them just gossip like that again.

"I disagree with both of you. The batman has done so much for this city, and saved many lives."

Your voice came out strongly.

You glanced over at Bruce, weary of how he might react to you defending the batman, and noticed he was just resting his hand on his face and leaning his arm on the armrest. It might've been your imagination, but you could've sworn you saw a slight smile on his face. Your head snapped back as you heard the hiring woman scoff.

"You only say that because you were saved by him and the newspapers had you on the front cover. Mr Wayne had to pay for your bills, and this company was underfire for the way it handled that entire situati-"

"Shouldn't you direct your anger towards the person who actually put everyone in danger in the first place?"

"How do we know its not you-"

You and the lady went back and forth before Mr Fox interrupted.

"Please settle down you two." He sighed as he held his head.

After a short while longer, the meeting came to an abrupt end. Bruce hadn't spoken a word, but silently observed.

As everyone began to walk out you held your breath and got up quickly. Bruce began to get up too, holding his journal in hand. A few of the other board members began to approach him and you quickly walked away, outside of the room.

You felt Bruce's eyes on you as you did and you took a deep breath as you walked over to the drinking fountain. You didn't want to know what pictures he had, or if he had looked at them.

As you drank from the fountain, you felt someone walk up behind you.

That prescence.....

You turned quickly, water sightly dripping from your face in result.

Bruce looked down at you with his cold eyes. "Why'd you leave so quickly?" He put his hand on your face and wiped off the water that had been travelling from the corner of your mouth. You couldn't help but blush.

"Well uhm..." You looked towards the journal in his other hand and then back at him.

"You were in a hurry earlier, when you bumped into me..."

He got closer to you. A lot closer.

You were thankful that the drinking fountain was around a corner, out of sight of anyone exiting the meeting.

"O--oh so you were the guy I ran into..." You looked away from his eyes, which had been following your every glance.

He stepped closer to you, your bodies both now touching, making you step back a little, into the wall next to the fountain.

"You already knew that." His voice was soft and he grinned a little. "So I'm just a guy you ran into then?"

You put your hands on his chest slightly pushing him in a playful manner.

"Well you are my boss now and-"

You looked at his face, noticing him grimace and clench his jaw slightly. You realized you had probably just smacked your hands right on his wound. He put his hand on the side of you, against the wall, for support as he stood in front of you.

"Im so sorry I forgot-"

He shook his head. "No.. it's alright.."

You noticed the black journal had fallen loose from his hands and the pictures had fallen out on the ground, along with the pages of the journal laying open on the floor. You bent down quickly to get both.

Bruce hadn't seem to notice he had dropped the journal until you kneeled down and reached for it.

You clasped the pictures in your hand, not bothering to look to see which you had accidentally given him when his journal caught your eye.

The page that it flipped open to, you were to curious not to read....

Y/n File, Entry 6

It's been another sleepless night. I saved her, again, but she did more than say thank you and I couldn't resist her.

You weren't able to read more as you felt Bruce kneel down next to you, grabbing the journal from your grasp in a very swift move.

File.

A file.

Why would he have a file on you, and what kind of journal was that even?