The Dawn Of Truth - 27

You held the gun in your hand. It didn't feel right, but it also made you feel... safe. It wasn't necessarily legal for you to have this in your possession without a permit, but it was Gotham. You were sure you could get away with it.

You pulled out your phone to see Selina's number that she had given you... you wondered why she didn't text you or call... 

You sent her a text, only for the error message to pop up that the number was no longer in use. You sighed. Whatever she had gotten into, was a big enough reason for her to completely start fresh, and that scared you.

You got up, changing into some more comfortable, slightly neutral/darker colored clothing, rather than your business wear. 

You slipped the gun in your pocket and breathed a long sigh. You had sprawled the photographs out on your coffee table, looking at the question mar symbol on each of them. It had to have some significance.

You didn't hear any commotion outside of your door, meaning that probably no backup nor the batman had shown up to the crime scene yet... This was insane. You knew what you were about to do was extremely illegal, but you needed to see him... 

Maybe you wouldn't go inside your neighbor's apartment...

You began to walk out when you quickly stopped in your tracks. There was a notecard taped near a picture you had hanging on the wall of your parents when they were married... You ripped it off, opening it.

It read,

What's black, blue and dead all over...?

Your neighbor.

Your parents.

You, if you think you can stop what's coming...

<?>

You threw the card onto the ground, flipping your hood on and grabbing a face mask from the counter. You put it on your face and took a deep breath, as you opened your door and shoved your hands in your pocket, resting your hand on your gun. 

You had to go inside your neighbors apartment... It's not like you could ask to go in.. You looked around before walking to their door... 

The logo shined bright on the door, the spray paint seemed almost still fresh... You stepped under the caution tape, avoiding the blood on the concrete..

You put your hand on the handle, expecting it to be locked, but it creaked open. You stepped inside, your nostrils filled with the scent of decaying corpse and cleaner. There had been an attempt to clean, you didn't know if it was the riddler or the cops...

As you walked into the next room, looking around, you didn't see any postcards. The danger of the moment began to set in your stomach. What were you even doing here? You should've just waited outside....

You saw the shimmer of something underneath the bed, in the bedroom... you walked over to it.