Vigilante - 32

You held your breath, noticing Bruce's gaze was also fixed on the batsignal. It was barely even sunset, you thought and sighed.

"You okay?"

Bruce looked down at you, noticing your sigh.

"That's a loaded question Mr Wayneeee"

You shook your head and swung giving him a hug, knowing he was the batman without him knowing that you knew... It was harder than you thought.

You wanted to... mess with him before you told him you knew, but your conscience also made you feel guilty. You didn't want him getting hurt out there, but how could you protect him in your state... and did he even need protection.

Bruce hugged you back tightly before letting go. You looked up at him as he motioned for a taxi to pull over to pick you up.

"I'll text you later okay?"

You clenched your jaw and nodded giving a smile that was 85% real, the other percentage being you mentally screaming at yourself for not just saying 'good luck vengeance,' or 'bruce I know you're batman, and I'm worried so please be safe.'

"Alright... but whatever you do, dont go re-opening that wound or getting another one.."

You giggled, trying to mask your concern in a playful voice. You would tell him you knew, just not yet. You poked his side lightly near the wound and turned to walk towards the taxi that had pulled over to pick you up.

"Of course"

He gave a small smile before walking ahead of you and opening the taxi door for you. You got in, and he closed the door after you did so. 

You rolled down the window to say one last goodbye to your new boyfriend who was secretly batman, but he was gone. Just like the night before. He had a habit of disappearing.

The taxi driver began driving without asking you for your destination which made you unsettled.

"Excuse me, Im headed for-"

The driver turned slowly as the car approached a stop light, cutting you off mid sentence.

"I never was but always will be. No one ever saw me but everyone knows I exist. I give people the motivation to better themselves every day. What am I?"

A chill ran down your spine at the riddle. You felt your body enter a state of panic as you tried to open the door, only for it to be bolted shut by a mechanism. The window wouldn't roll down either. 

Fear began to course through your veins as you attempted again and again to push the door open. A sense of hopelessness began to fill you as the car began to drive again, this time towards a dark unlit street. 

The reflection of the colorful sunset no longer comforted you.... The man in the mask.... no, the riddler gave a light chuckle.

"Answer it and I may just let you go."

Your stomach knotted at his twisted game, and you began to reach for your phone. The car jolted to a stop as you did, and the riddler turned back to face you.