Realization - 28

Your heart was beating fiercely, and you heard a groan escape the batman's lips. He still had his arms around you. He stumbled, holding you still.

"Let go of the intruder, and both of you put your hands up!" 

The cop yelled, his voice shaking, still aiming his gun towards the bat. 

They wanted you, not the bat. The cop had shot out of pure fear.

His hand slid over your face, covering your identity from the cop who had just shot him, but he was having trouble maintaining his balance. He stumbled towards the window that was behind you.

You let out a muffled gasp as you both fell backwards through the window. It was about a 1 story, 14 foot drop. 

Batman held you on top of him as you both fell to the ground, hitting the concrete with a loud thud. You winced at the impact of your body and his armor, but you knew he had probably taken the bulk of the fall on his back.

You slowly sat up, on top of him, your heart pounding and your voice shaken and out of breath.

You looked down at his face, placing your hand on the side of his face.

"H-hey are you okay?"

There was a cut just on the edge of his lip, from the glass. His eyes nearly shut before snapping wide open, looking at you and then up towards the window you had just fallen from.

You could hear the sound of the cops yelling up there.

"Where are we gonna-"

You managed to say, before he interrupted you by stumbling as he tried to get up. You helped him stand, you heard his voice quiver as you both did get to your feet. 

You heard the sound of yelling coming from the other side of the building, where the main entrances to the apartments were. 

Before you could warn the bat, he grabbed onto your waist, pulling you against him and he shot his grappling hook towards the roof of another building far away. 

You both swung towards the building, and he repeated this a few times, until you were both far enough away that they probably wouldn't be able to catch you. 

You ended up in a dimly lit alleyway, and the bat collapsed against the wall after letting go of you. His back sliding down the brick. 

His breathing was labored, and you could tell he was in a lot of pain. 

You kneeled down next to him.

"Y- you need medical attention..." You looked to his eyes, but he avoided looking into yours. His hand rested on his utility belt, and the other he held against his chest. 

"You need to take that off- I can help...."

His eyes looked to yours finally, with a pained tone.