32

"How much longer until Damon gets here?" I complained as I sat outside of the door of the B&B.

"He should be here soon," Elena said as she tapped her foot. "Is watching them too boring for you?" She joked.

We sat together outside of the room where Stephen and Caroline were trapped. Our goal was to get Caroline's humanity turned back on. It was so far a failure.

"No I'm having the time of my life," I replied sarcastically.

The reason I had wanted to leave was I had plans to find the ascendant. I had heard from Damon, Lily would be out of the house and knew it was my chance. Though, I didn't know how long I had.

"Will you shut up?" Caroline yelled from inside the room. "If I had it my way you'd both be dead so I wouldn't have to listen to your unbearable voices."

"You wouldn't have to listen if you turned your humanity back on," I replied, ignoring her comment about wanting to kill me.

"Or I can kick the door down and rip out your vocal cords!"

I jumped hearing her foot crash into the large door. Staring at the metal, I prepared myself incase it came crashing down. Beside me, Elena rolled her eyes. Standing up, she moved towards the door.

Another crash sounded as Elena flipped open a latch to see inside the room. Looking around Elena's head, I saw a fuming Caroline readying herself to kick the door again. Her eyes had large bags under them and her skin was sickly pale.

"What? Are you scared I'll be able to get out?" Caroline laughed as she kicked the door again.

"No. We're just annoyed by your kicking," Elena fought back.

"Maybe you aren't scared, but I know poor little Zaylee is."

Caroline's eyes shot towards me as I stood behind Elena. Hiding my fear, I glared at the blonde. Moving closer, I kept my eye contact.

"This isn't you Care. You don't want to be feared," I told her. "Turn on your humanity and life can go back to how it was."

"Your life still hasn't recovered after coming back from the prison world. It's been, what, weeks? Months?" She chuckled. "How do you expect me to recover right after my mothers death?"

A pain stabbed my chest as she mentioned Liz. My throat felt tight thinking of the dead woman.

"I'm working on getting my life back how it was. I want you to be in that life as your loving and bubbly self," I said sadly. "We can pick ourselves up together. It'll be harder if you keep killing and hurting people."

Caroline laughed as she walked from the door. Turning back around, she stared through the opening into my eyes. Speeding back over to the door, she placed her fingers on the opening.

"You may need me to help you, but I don't need you and I never have. My mother died while all that happen to you was you were locked away to do whatever you wanted for a little bit. Don't act like you can compare."

"I'm not trying to. I just want to help you. Death hurts, but together," I was cut off by Caroline slamming her fist on the door.

"You dumb witch! I don't want your help. I'm happy without my humanity and I would be happier without you," Caroline's voice quieted as she slowed. "Maybe we should stick you back in the prison world with Kai. You deserve all the torture he would put you through."

I took a set back as the image filled my brain. A shiver ran down my spine picturing Kais sinister face.

"We'd all be happier without you. We were all happier when you were gone. Life was great!"