29

The only noise that could be heard was our footsteps as Kai and I trekked through the forest in search of the ascendant. I could feel like we were getting closer. The closer we got the more anxious I became for what I was going to do.

"Wow you're really talkative," Kai said wanting to start a conversation.

"Yep," I replied shortly, just wanted to stay concentrated on the task at hand.

"Its around here somewhere. Start looking," I told Kai as I started to look by trees and under bushes. As I dug through a pine tree I saw a metal object sitting under it in a pile of snow. Reaching out I grabbed it. A smile came across my face as I saw what it was.

"I found it," I announced and stood to my feet. Kai stood as well as I wiped the snow off the shiny object.

"Lets get back to Damon and Elena," I turned to start walking back the way we came when Kai stopped me.

"Wait," I stayed looking at my feet as Kai walked up behind me. "If you really don't think I'm capable of changing, why did you spend the whole day with me?" he questioned. "Why bring me out into the middle of nowhere when I could gut you all over again?" I bit my lip as flashbacks of that horrible
moment flashed through my head. It was almost like I could feel the pain all over again.

He walked around infront of me and lifted my chin. "I've changed." He said. I plastered a fake smile onto my face as I spoke "I believe you." A smile grew into his face and he turned around. My stomach started doing flips and my hands grew clammy.

"Let's get back to-" He was cut off as I grabbed the knife out of my jacket and stabbed him in the back. My mouth fell open at what I just done. He fell to the ground groaning in pain. I stared at the bloody knife in my hand.

"Zaylee what are you doing?" He panted in the snow. "You haven't changed Kai. I know deep down you wanted to gut me out here in the woods!" the more I spoke the more fire I could feel build inside.

"You almost killed me, multiple times! You stabbed me and now I'm just returning the favor." My cold gaze glared down at him.

"Zaylee please," he cried in pain. "I'm sorry." I closed my eyes and took a deep breath. When I opened them I look straight forward and started to walk.

"Zaylee don't leave me here!" He yelled as he tried to crawl to me. I kept my face forward as I held in the tears. "Zaylee!" He screamed one last time before I was out of earshot.

My feet on the crunchy snow was the only thing to be heard. My heart pounded and my stomach ached. I didn't feel bad about leaving Kai here. I knew he wouldn't die. I just wanted him to stay in a prison world where he belonged. I did feel bad because I had just stabbed a man, and if he didn't cry out in pain I would have continued.

I would have killed him.

The thoughts kept running through my head about how the knife felt as it dug through his flesh. How he fell forward and stained the snow beneath him red. I was scared of what I did. I didn't like that feeling.

I walked into the clearing that I was meant to
meet Elena and Damon at and stood calming myself. I took deep breaths as I wiped the tears I didn't even know had fallen. I had to control myself. Even though I knew he deserved it the guilt was overwhelming.

"Zaylee start the spell," I heard Elena's voice from behind me, so I quickly wiped away the single tear left on my face before turning to her. "Wheres Damon?" I asked noticing the lack of the vampire and his mother.

"On his way." She said and I nodded before pulling the knife out of my jacket. I had washed the blood off of it in the snow.

"Where's Kai?" she asked after I had cut my hand and started the spell. I looked down at the ascendant. "He's not coming back with us." I said ending the conversation. I could tell she was about to ask for clarification but Damon came running out of the woods with a woman in old looking clothing.

"Finish the spell." He spoke and I nodded. As the spell was finishing a I heard a weak voice call my name from the woods. I looked up seeing Kai leaning against a tree as he tried to get closer.

I continued the spell fast and the bright light started to consume us. "Don't leave me here!" Kai yelled and white started to could my vision.

"Zaylee!"