19

Waking up in pain seemed to become a reoccurring thing for me. I groaned as I tried to reach my hands up to hold my aching head. "Woah woah. Hold on Zaylee." I heard a voice. I opened my eyes finding Jeremy sitting next to me while I was on a couch in the Salvatore house.

"What happened?" I asked as Jeremy helped me sit up. "You passed out after I shot Kai. You know that was really ballsy giving Jo your magic." I chuckled a little at him. "Is everyone ok?" I asked remembering Elena. "Yeah. They wanted to be here for when you woke but they all had things to do. Damon was pissed about you giving her your magic." I rolled my eyes.

"When is Damon not pissed?" I said under my breath. Now it was his turn to chuckle at me. "Well I better get up. I'm not wasting any of my life any more." He nodded as I stood up.

I went to my room in the Salvatore house and it was exactly the same as how I left it. Messy floor and all. I went to my closet putting on a sweatshirt and leggings before going to the apartment where Kai is being kept.

When I walked into the apartment I heard Damon talking to himself. I made it over to the room where Kai was being held and saw Damon talking to him. Even though Kai was passed out on a table. "Wow you just started spending time with him and you've already gone insane." I spoke getting his attention.

His eyes widened and he ran to me engulfing me in a hug. "Thank god you're ok." He pulled away from me and held me by my shoulders. "Now what the hell were you thinking! You could have died!" Damon yelled. I stepped back out of his grasp holding my hands up.

"Woah woah woah, hold on. I practically saved the day." I said crossing my arms over my chest. "But little Gilbert had to save you!" He yelled. He wasn't particularly mad at me. He was just worried about what could have happened. I knew Damon could never be mad at me.

"You need to calm down, don't want to wake sleeping beauty." I joked as I motioned over to the still motionless Kai. "He won't be waking up anytime soon." Damon said calming down. But a tinge if anger was still present in his voice. "Elena's been pumping him full of some doctor stuff." He badly explained. But I got got the gist of it.

"Where is everyone?" I asked. Usually the group was all together or at least easy to find. Damon sighed. "They're at the hospital." He said putting his head in his hands. "What? Why?" I could feel my heart rate pick up at this. What had happened?

"Liz Forbs. She has cancer." I gasped as tears burned my eyes. I fell down onto the couch behind me. Liz was like a mother to me. After all I never had one. Bonnie's mom left before I was even adopted. "Why did no one tell me about this?" I asked as I held back the tears.

Damon sighed then sat down next to me. "You had gone through so much. We didn't want to worry you. I know we should have told you." I groaned. "I'm going to the hospital." I said getting up and grabbing my car keys. "I'm coming with you." Damon said as he ran after me.

"How is she?" I asked once I found Stephen, Elena, Caroline, Bonnie and Jo at the hospital. They all looked down and Care wiped the tears from her eyes. Stephen walked over to Damon and I and quietly spoke. "Caroline gave Liz her blood. It's going to speed up her cancer." He spoked sadly. The tears in my eyes stared to form again. I rushed over to Care and gave her a big hug.

"We're trying a blood transfusion right now." Jo spoke. I just held Care until everyone walked away. "How are you holding up?" She asked as she pulled away from me wiping her eyes. "No Care, don't worry about me. Let's go get you some coffee."

I walked with Caroline and we grabbed some coffee. We sat down in the chairs close to her moms room and waited. Eventually Jo came and found us. A sad expression adorned her face. "The transfusion didn't work." A choked gasped escaped Caroline. I looked down in my lap and gritted my teeth as I held onto her hand. "We're doing everything we can."

I looked up at Care to see her face streaked with tears. "This is all my fault. I killed my mom." She said before running out of the hospital. "Caroline!" I yelled after her but it was too late. I slumped down in my chair as a few tears escaped my eyes. 

"Liz wanted to see you." Jo said as she motioned towards her door. I nodded as I wiped my face clean of the tears. She was already going through enough. I didn't want her to worry about me.

I opened the door to her room and my breath caught in my throat. Laying there in the bed was Liz. Was looked weak and fragile. It hurt to see her like this. Especially after not seeing her for so long.

"Zaylee." Liz said cheerfully as she saw me walk in. I smiled and walked over to her bed. "Where's Care?" She asked, her voice raspy. "Uhm I'm not sure." I said quietly. "She ran off." Liz sighed. I could tell that she was already sad about the transfusion not working. Now that her daughter ran off it looked like she was about to cry.

"I'm sorry." I said. A tear slipped out of her eye.  I felt my tears coming back yet again. "She's not going to forgive herself for this is she?" Liz asked as she cried more. I sat down on the edge of her bed and held her cold hand. "I'll make sure we find her." I said trying to comfort her.

I sat with Liz for the rest of the day. Just holding her hand comforting her. When the night came I heard footsteps coming down the hall. The door opened and in walked Elena, Damon and Kai!?

"What the hell is that little weasel doing awake and here!" I screamed as I stood up in front of Liz. I held my hand out ready to do a spell if I had to. "Calm doesn't little Bennett." Kai said smirking. "I'm here to help." He said walking around the room looking at the different doctor tools.

I turned back to my friends and looked at them like they were crazy. "What they hell!?" "Don't worry." Damon spoke. "He's here to suck the magic out of Liz. He's going to save her." Damon said. I looked to Elena and she nodded. I looked back at Kai to see him smirking. When he saw me looking at him he winked. I rolled my eyes at the boy.

"Kai wouldn't do this out of the kindness of his heart. What does he get out of it?" I asked walking closer to Damon. "We'll talk about that later right now we have some witchy stuff to do." Damon turned to Kai who was now washing his hands. "Get on with it."