28

Standing in the Salvatore living room I tightly held a large knife in my hand. Slowly sliding it across the skin on my palm as Kai stood in front of me. The ascendant held in his hands as my blood dripped onto the machine.

"Damn! Crocodile Dundy called he wants his knife back," joked Kai, causing me to sigh.

"Ya know he's no longer a thing and neither is that joke," I replied as I slide the large knife into in shieth.

"Ouch," he whispered. Ignoring him, I lifted my hand directly above the ascendant, watching the blood pour.

Footsteps were heard and soon Elena came bounding into the room with a large fur coat.

"Is this presentable attire by 1903 standards?" She asked giving a small twirl. As I was about to respond Damon interrupted me.

"Woah," He started. "Who said you were coming?" They two started a small catfight before Kai stepped in.

"Powerful as I am, there is a limit to how many people I can transport with this spell." He said, siding with Damon. I wasn't going to let myself be stuck with Damon and Kai alone so I stepped in as well.

"That's why I'm here," I said cheerfully as I hooked my arm through Elenas. Kai now rolled his eyes.

"Shall we," I say, grabbing onto the ascendent along with Kai. Damon sighs as he grabs ahold of Elena's hand.

Kai started to chant the spell. Once I got the gist of what he was saying I quietly started chanting under my breath along with him. I closed my eyes, opening them again when I felt the air get cold. Opening my eyes I am met with the view of a snowy forest.

"Well isn't this a picturesque slice of hell," Damon said breaking the overwhelming silence.

Taking my eyes away from the snow I turned to Damon and Elena. "You two go ahead and get Damons mom. We'll start the spell to look for the ascendant," I explain.

"Wait," Elena stopped up before we could walk away. "Why do you need to find the ascendant, Kai just had it."

A laugh left Kais lips. "The ascendant can't travel through time. That's why we have to fine it's mirror image here."

"Page ten of the world jumping rule book," Damon sarcastically said while he zipped up his coat. "Shall we," He turned and started walking into the forest waiting for Elena to follow. Before she did, she grabbed my arm.

"Are you sure you'll be ok with him alone?" she asked, knowing how much I despise Kai.

"I'll be fine, If he tries anything I have this," I said as I motioned to the inside of my jacket where the large knife lay. She nodded before running to catch up with Damon.

Once she was out of sight I turned my attention back to Malachi. "Now, let's find the ascendant."

Holding my hand out towards Kai, I motioned for him to put his hand in mine. He did with his palm facing up. I then grabbed the knife out of my coat and slices the tip of his finger. he didn't even wince.

Putting the knife away, I let go of his hand and cupped my hands under the droplets of blood coming from his finger. Quietly, I started to chant the spell. I could tell Kai was uncomfortable with the silence, but I thought it was peaceful.

"You have really nice palms," the boy remarked as he watched his blood fall into my small hands. As I continued chanting I looked up at him. He had a small smile across his lips. The thought of him enjoying this made me angry, but I just ignored the feeling.

As I continued chanting Kai continued to talk.

"Do you know why I'm here? Because my guilt keeps me up at night." When I didn't reply he kept going.

"I don't expect you to believe me, but I need you to give me one more chance." So many things went through my head as he spoke. I couldn't tell if he was being honest.

As I continued to say the spell I knew I couldn't believe him. If it wasn't for his so many bad things wouldn't have happened. Even if he is good now, I wouldn't be able to forgive him.

When I didn't answer he forcefully grabbed my wrists catching me off guard. A gasp escaped my lips as he screamed and shook me.

"Zaylee listen to me!" Quickly I pushed away from him, my hands still cupping the small amount of blood. His mouth fell open in shock. Anger and fear coursed through me.

"I'm sorry. I didn't mean to do that," He apologized.

"But you did it anyway," I fumed, turning away from him. "The ascendant is this way."