9

A few days had passed since I destroyed the liquor store. I haven't talked to Kai about it since. I avoided him at all costs.

The time that had passed I spent searching in grimoires. Though, I have been more leaneant on myself so I wouldn't have a break down again. Kai hasn't been much of a help when it comes to finding a way out.

Today I was going to ask everything he knew about how to get out.  Previously, I had questioned him about his knowledge, but he said he knew nothing that would help.

"Kai, I need your help." I said as I walked into his room.

When I stepped in he was laying on the bed reading. Looking up from his book, he motioned for me to sit next to him. Sitting on the very edge, I spoke.

"From what I know about prison worlds you need an ascendant. I've asked before, but do you shave any idea about where one may be?"

Kai nodded and pulled the asendant out of his jacket pocket. My jaw dropped as he tossed it on the bed next to him.

"You've had it this whole time?"

Shock and anger was evident on my features. If I would have known he had it, we would have been out of the prison world weeks ago.

"Calm down. We couldn't use it even if we wanted. You need a Bennett witch to do the spell. As you can see, we don't have one."

"Can you show me where the spell would have to be done and how?" I question. "Maybe I can find a loop hole."

Groaning, Kai reluctantly got up. Leaving the house, I followed Kai through the woods. Eventually, we made it to a clearing with an opening dug into the ground. Going inside, I saw a large tunnel system.

"Here it is," Kai said as he enthusiastically motioned around the cave. "I'll be back at the house if you need me."

Once he was gone I got to work. Kai had said the blood of a Bennett witch is needed. I'm Zaylee Bennett. I may not be a Bennett by blood, but I am still a Bennett. Witches are known to have loopholes in their spells. All I could do was hope this was one.

Grabbing the ascendant, I flipped it over in my hands. Analyzing the metal, I tried to remember the spell I had seen in one of the book. When I remembered it, I moved to the center of the cave.

Looking to the sky, I saw the eclipse had started. Taking a breath, I started the spell. My hands shook slightly in anticipation as I said the words.

Pressing my hand on a gear sticking out, I cut the center of my palm. Wincing, I waved my hand along the gear, making the cut larger. Ignoring the pain, I thought about how I would soon see my family.

Raising my hand above the asendant, I started to chant. Blood ran off my skin to land on the metal. As the blood landed the gears started to shift.

Tears pricked at my eyes as joy overwhelmed me. It was working. Overhead, the eclipse was at its peak. I was so close to getting home.

As I changed, a white light started to form above me. It had started to surround my when I was thrown backwards out of the light. The ascendent fell from my hands and a searing pain ran through my stomach.

As I landed against the cave wall, I looked down to see an arrow sticking out of my stomach. Blood had already started to soak my shirt. Passed the arrow, I could see the acendant shattered in the dirt. All of the light had disappeared. Beyond that was the scariest thing.

Kai stood with a crossbow still pointed at me. A wicked smirk painted across his smug face. Taking a few steps towards me, Kai threw the crossbow to the ground. I tried moving back, but the arrow moved inside my skin, stopping me. Pained sobs escaped me as the arrow cut more skin.

Seeing Kai move closer, I grabbed the sparrow. Without thinking, I ripped it from my skin. A blood curdling scream came out of me as the arrow did too.

Setting the arrow next to me, I said a spell. The arrow shot off the ground, embedding itself into Kais foot. He yelled in pain before quickly recovering. Grabbing the arrow, Kai ripped it out of his foot and threw it to the side.

As he moved closer, I lay limp on the ground in defeat. It wouldn't matter if he made it to me. I'd be dead anyway.

When he was in front of me, Aki crouched down. His wicked smile grew as he looked at the puddle of blood I had made.

My vision became blurry and my mind was foggy. Before I went into the dark I heard one last thing.

"You never told me you were a Bennett."

__

Pain surged through my stomach as I sat up. I had just woken up to realize I was in the Salvatore house. Lifting my shirt, I noticed a blood stained bandage.

"Look who's up."

Kais evil voice sounded from across the room. Walking over to me, Kai sat down on the couch next to my feet. Fear made me pull my knees to my chest despite the pain. I needed the little comfort they gave.

Grabbing a handful of something from his pocket, Kai threw it on the coffee table. Looking over the pieces, I realized it was the broken ascendent. Dried blood still coated some of the gears.

"We have to fix this by tomorrow."

Leaning over the table, Kai began to assemble the pieces. Cringing, I watched as he wiped some of the dried blood off on his shirt.

"Are you going to help me or just sit there staring?"

I didn't reply, still too in shock from the events earlier.

"Alright then. If you're not going to talk, I'm going to go get some snacks and a movie to entertain myself." He said and stood up "Don't move."

My eyes stared at his back as he left the room. As soon as he was gone, my eyes shot to the ascendant pieces. Without coming up with a plan, I collected all of the pieces. Jumping off the couch, I ran to the front door My teeth clenched as I tried to ignore the the pain in my side.

Bursting out the door, I ran down the streets. I ran like my life depended on it. Because it probably did.