41

Above me, the stars shined bright. The moon lit the woods as I sat atop the cabin. I had left the party right after seeing my old friends. With a confused mind, I sprinted back to the cabin. I could feel my humanity close to switching on when I saw Bonnie, but I stopped it. I wouldn't do that to myself.

"You should have told me you were going to leave the party," Kai called from the ground.

I didn't bother looking down. Sitting with my arms crossed, I ignored the calling of my name. I stayed on the roof waiting for him to come up. Not getting a response, Kai jumped up like I expected. He walked towards me, laying beside me. His head rested in my lap as he looked up at me.

"I saw them," I said, not looking down.

"Who?" Kai asked.

"Bonnie, Damon, all of them," I responded, letting the anger deep into my voice. "You said they were dead."

Kai jumped up. His face showed slight stress as he sat across from me. Quickly, his hands reached to grab mine.

"Did they get you to-"

"Flip the switch," I cut him off. "If they did, I probably wouldn't be here. Zaylee with humanity is pretty stupid."

Kai let out a breath of relief. Seeing his body relax, I ripped my hands from his. Turning my head, I refused to face him.

"You lied to me," I spat.

"I did what I had to," He replied. "You're much happier without your humanity. I personally think everyone would be better off without it."

Anger boiled up inside me. As I stared at Kai all I saw was red. My hands twitched to rip out his heart. My humanity was flipped off because of a lie.

"I don't like liars," I growled.

In an instant my arms shot out and snapped his neck. His limp body fell onto the roof with a thud. He would wake up soon, so I jumped from the roof. I left his body up there while I went inside to my room.

After changing into pajamas, I crawled into bed. Staring out the window, I thought about my old friends and Kai. I knew I should have felt more when I saw my friends, but all I felt was betrayal. I also knew I should have ripped Kais head off when I had the chance, but the sire bond wouldn't allow me too.

As I started at the window, I didn't know how to feel. My humanity switch was blocking some of my emotions. I wasn't thinking straight. Though, I didn't want to flip the switch. I knew I would regret it if I did.

"There's other ways to get me to shut up then snapping my neck," Kai said as he walked into the room.

With my back turned to him, I ignored his presence. Sighing, Kai got into bed next to me. His arm wrapped around me with his stomach pressed to my back.

"I thought about snapping your neck when I came in here," Kai admitted. "Or even ripping out your heart."

"The sire bond stopped me from doing that, but why didn't you?"

"Because I think I have a little bit of humanity when I'm with you," He said, pressing his face into the back of my neck.

"Is your humanity switched off?" I wondered. It seemed like an obvious answer, but we had never talked about it.

"Nope," Kai responded. "I don't need to turn it off. I realized that after I lost all of Luke's humanity."

My eyes widened in slight surprise. I had expected his humanity to be off. Though, it didn't matter. It seemed like his humanity was turned off for everyone. Even me sometimes.