To Hateno

Link's POV

We had two months before Zelda's seventeeth birthday, when the Calamity is scheduled to return.

What a amazing present.

I decided to take the time to visit home. My family moved back to Hateno after living in Mabe Village for a few years.

But I still didn't know what outcome will come of the Calamity's return. I wanted to see them at least once before it arrived. In case Ganon's influence reached Hateno.

I asked Wild if he wanted to come, I noticed how much he liked exploring.

He hesitated for a minute before Twilight answered for him. "Yes." I know that wherever Twilight goes, Wild goes, and vise versa.

So today, we were heading out.

Wild took to the path like he walked it his whole life. Twilight trailing behind.

I barely had to tell the Hero directions. Even with his head in the clouds, Wild rode like a natural, avoiding all the monster hideouts.

I wondered, not for the first time, how far ahead in time Wild is. How different his Hyrule's geography is from ours.

When we entered Ash Swamp, Wild noticeably tensed. His eyes flicked to a boulder in the middle of the swamp.

Twilight rode up to him. He didn't physically touch Wild, but said hero deflated at Twilight's presence.

I didn't question them. Everyone's entitled to their secrets.

I walked Epona through the front gate of Fort Hateno. Soldiers were crawling over the battalion. Chatter filled the air.

Wild shrank down on his horse. He tried to hide his now glowing arm underneath him. He tried to make himself as small as possible.

I think bringing him was a bad idea.

I waved to the knights on duty and pushed Epona along the path.

I never really liked crowds. But I have to, for my job.

Wild didn't stop in awe at the unusual rock formation across the river. Neither did Twilight. It must not change in X years between now and Wild's time.

We a few feet away, the ground dropped off into a cliff. A natural bridge connected the two sides so people can get across it if they ever need to.

Then, the walls rose up until we were in a slim canyon.

Wild kept his gaze on the blue skies. It was a rather tight fit, and not many people appreciate it.

When the walls fell down, the road branched off.

In one direction, was my beloved home town, Hateno Village.

In the other, was the Equestrian shooting range.

I used to practice there for years before I became a knight. Epona always accompanied me. I went there so often the owners, Alanis and Newt, know me by name.

But today, we were going to the left. Through the forest and to the village.

Mika stood guard as always. He was a retired knight and knew we were safe due to the Fort, but he was always paranoid. He said he knows a day's coming when he'll need his sword again.

But it's not.

Mika nodded at me when I dismounted from Epona. Twilight and Wild following suit.

Mika looked suspiciously at the heroes. "Who're they?"

"Hi sir," Twilight said, smiling with his mouth closed to hide the fangs I know are there. "my name is Twilight, and this is my protégé, Wild. We're foreigners and friends of Link, he's showing us around."

That wasn't the whole truth, they're heroes of past and present here to help us fight the Calamity. But that would most likely cause a panic, if word got out.

Mika seemed to buy it. He nodded them through, staring at Wild's arm the whole way.

I led the heroes and the horses to a secluded house on its own patch of land. A wooden bridge was the only thing connecting it to the rest of the village.

I looked back and saw that Wild had stopped dead in his tracks.

His hood was pulled up, making it difficult for me to see his reaction. But the tension in his body gave away his fear.

Twilight murmured something in his ear. Wild whispered something back. Twilight looked surprised, but took Wild's hand anyway and continued to lead him forward.

I led them to a mini stable on the side of the house. Mama's horse, Arabella, is there, caring for her foal, Goldie.

Goldie's the horse my younger twin sisters will learn to ride on.

I walked back around the house. I passed the Cuckoo pen on the way. My house has a little farm of its own.

We have Cuckoos, cows, horses, a few acres for growing crops, and a little pond down the hill, with a juvenile tree growing out of it.

I felt Twilight and Wild hold back as I opened the door to my childhood home.