opposites attract ; vernon chwe

ʕっ• ᴥ • ʔっ summary; they were the last two students anyone would pair together in the school.
ʕっ• ᴥ • ʔっ genre & tags; fluff / student!au / polar opposite couple / topics and/or scenes of bullying / insecure reader / troublemaker!vernon / good student!reader / secret gentleman vibes / same age relationship
ʕっ• ᴥ • ʔっ pairing; vernon x afab!reader
ʕっ• ᴥ • ʔっ word count; 1.5k words

ʕっ• ᴥ • ʔっ author's note; my last vernon fic blew up so i hope you enjoy this one too!
⋘ 𝑙𝑜𝑎𝑑𝑖𝑛𝑔 𝑑𝑎𝑡𝑎... ⋙

Whispers echoed the hallways as you stepped into the school building. Your head hanged low, your hair falling from your shoulders to cover your face in attempt to block out their words as you once again became the centre of attention. You hadn't even been the school five minutes and yet you could guarantee that your name had travelled the whole school building in that span of time. Pulling your bag closer to you, you traversed your small body through the thick crowds of hushed voices, pointing and laughing at you.

A hand roughly pushed your shoulder as you passed, knocking your body off centre and into another group of students, to which pushed you back in response.

"Aw look, no wonder Vernon felt sorry for you." A voice taunted. You grimaced, biting your lip to the point that you managed to draw blood as you hurried out of the crowds to your classroom before you became more of a laughing stock to the hordes. You slung your bag down at your desk, throwing yourself into the chair as you laid your head, exhaling. You'd never even expected that your classroom for the academic year would be your safe space but not even the girls' toilets were safe and you wouldn't dare risk the school's roof.

It only came to be your safe space because your boyfriend, Vernon Chwe - otherwise known as Hansol by a few students and teachers - was in your class and nobody dared to say a word in your direction with his presence there. You felt pathetic that you had to rely on him for protection without him even recognising it. Yet Vernon did recognise it, he noticed the way you would huddle against his side when the two of you walked through the hallways and the way your hands desperately clung to his arm. He would hear the whispers and mocking voices that taunted towards his girlfriend as you walked and the way you would never look up at them.

"Morning," the familiar voice perked up as the owner dragged out the chair from the desk beside you, throwing himself into it as he kicked his legs onto the desk, "yah, are you asleep already?"

You lifted your head slowly, your tired eyes landing on those of your boyfriend. He sighed, leaning to brush the mess of hair from your face before his eyes caught your bleeding and sore lower lip that you had chewed to death. His tongue poked his cheek as he looked away, cursing under his breath. You let your shoulders fall once more, resting your head against your again.

"Again?" He whispered, pulling his desk closer to yours as one of his hands rubbed your back. You let out a soft noise, nodding into your arms - reluctant to lift your head anymore and face the reality that was the school building. Vernon clicked his tongue and you whined, finally lifting your head to look at him.

"It's fine, Nonnie." You mumbled, letting him pull you into his chest as he curled his arms around you protectively. With a breathy exhale, you relaxed against his body and listened to his heartbeat like it was a song.

"Mr Chwe, leave Miss L/n alone and move your desk back please." Your teacher's piercing voice spoke up as she entered the classroom, causing you to pull away from his warmth as you sat ready for class. Vernon clicked his tongue once more in annoyance, already earning a glare from the teacher only seconds into the class.

-

You'd lost Vernon by the time that lunch rolled around. You told him you had to run the toilet before you went to the cafeteria and in the process, you lost him and weren't entirely sure where he was going to be. The bustle of the hallways didn't seem so focused on you at this time of day, the hordes of assholes more focused on their starvation than your simple soul as you passed through.

Despite this, there was always one that seemed to seek you out like prey. A sharp stabbing ran through your spine as you were pushed up against the metal lockers, momentarily banging your head against them. You winced, letting out a small noise as the group of girls gathered around you like vultures. They were familiar faces, you'd been in this position with them before and you ultimately weren't surprised when they started heckling insults your way.

"Yahhh... why did he chose a little rat like you?" the black haired girl spoke up, a school shirt untucked from her skirt and her knee high socks differentiating lengths, "are you gonna answer me?"

Boldly, you shook your head and hoped they'd just throw you away out of boredom if you didn't bite back but then again, when had you ever bitten back in these situations? You endured it, waiting for it to be over so you could hurry to the library every time and study the pain away. Another one made a sharp 'tsk' noise as she stepped forward to grab a handful of your hair. Your brows knitted as you grimaced, pursing your lips.

"You little bitch-" she began, pulling your hair slightly to the side to emit a yelp from your mouth but her words were shortly cut off. The audience of your humiliation began to part like the Red Sea and there appeared your knight in shining armour, a scowl covering his face.

If Vernon wasn't being aware of his awful reputation with the teachers and if they weren't girls pinning you to the lockers, the scene would have just about made him lose his shit. His eyes fell from the hand knotted into your hair, the wince of pain on your face and the feet standing on your own.

"The fuck do you think you're doing?" Vernon spat, chewing a piece of gum - one that you knew tasted of spearmint, his favourite. When the girls didn't respond, Vernon cocked a brow, "so it's okay for you to grab her hair when she doesn't respond but you're not going to have the fucking audacity to respond to me?"

He stepped forward, pulling one of the girl's shoulders back and with a wail, she let go of your hair. In response, the other two backed away from you and you slumped down the locker as your body numbed from the release of the pain. Vernon's hand grabbed your wrist, pulling you up and away from the whispering crowds that had witnessed the scene. He didn't stop until you were out of the school building, the cool fresh air hitting you after the stuffy atmosphere you had just suffocated in. His hands smoothed down your hair, fixing your uniform even though his was a mess before one of his hands fell to cup your cheek, his thumb stroking your skin rhythmically.

"Baby..." He mumbled sympathetically and you shook your head, rubbing the stinging feeling from your eyes as you refused to cry in front of him. You'd already caused a mess that he had to come rushing to the rescue for again.

"Don't mention it Nonnie," you sighed, rubbing your temple as a headache began to pound at your skull, "I want to go home."

"You? Skip class?" Vernon teased softly as his hand fell from your cheek to hold your own hand, "c'mon."

-

Vernon hummed as he closed your fridge door with his elbow, wandering back to where he had left you on the couch surrounded by soft blankets and snacks he'd got at the store on the way to your house. He smiled softly at how you were curled up underneath a blanket, resting your head against a cushion as you filtered through the recommendations on Netflix. He placed the cans of cream soda on the coffee table, lifting the blanket to climb underneath it too.

It didn't take you long to shuffle to his side, curling up against his warm body as he wrapped an arm around your shoulders, playing with your hair and his other hand took the remote and continued the browsing for you.

"What are you feeling?" He asked with a hum, tilting his head at some of the things that he was discovering were on Netflix. You shrugged lightly, tracing patterns in the texture of the blanket covering the two of you as you took a bite out of a strawberry.

"I don't mind," you suddenly spoke as you finished your mouthful, "I just want to lay here with you."

Vernon smiled down at you, leaning down to press his lips to yours as he took in the taste of the strawberry you'd just finished. He had no need for some reputation whenever he was with you, he could be whoever he wanted and he knew you would be right here at his side, no matter what - even if you appeared to be opposite ends of a magnet to the public.