dance partners ; kwon soonyoung

ʕっ• ᴥ • ʔっ summary; work colleagues aren't supposed to fall in love on the job.
ʕっ• ᴥ • ʔっ genre & tags; fluff / idol!soonyoung / backup dancer!reader / soonyoung being an absolute love bug / seventeen teasing the hell out of him
ʕっ• ᴥ • ʔっ pairing; soonyoung x afab!reader
ʕっ• ᴥ • ʔっ word count; 2.0k words

ʕっ• ᴥ • ʔっ author's note; soonyoung stans please take this as an apology for his other fanfic
⋘ 𝑙𝑜𝑎𝑑𝑖𝑛𝑔 𝑑𝑎𝑡𝑎... ⋙

Sweat trickled in beads down the side of your face, your hair sticking to your skin in response to the rigorous routine you'd been repeating for your job. Exhaling a tired breath, your aching legs wandered to your belongings that you had left by the wall, chugging some now lukewarm water from your bottle with a grimace. You watched as the group you were working with continued to practise, heavy pants and sweaty bodies in the crammed dance studio. The group itself consisted of thirteen members and it came to no surprise once you discovered that as to why there was only four backup dancers, including yourself.

"How are you doing?" One of them perked up as he looked in your direction, from where you stood admiring their hard work. You smiled tiredly in response.

"Okay," you mused, taking another swig of your disgustingly warm water, "you're the one who choreographs, right?"

His eyes disappeared into creases as he flashed a proud smile at you, nodding as he ran a hand through his hair, wet from sweat.

"Mhm," he hummed, drinking from his own bottle as he stood beside, "you're not straining anything? Please take breaks whenever you need to."

Your heart fluttered somewhat simply at the attitude of the talented male, his concern for you as one of his backup dancers. You nodded in agreement to his words, continuing to watch his group practise. They were becoming tired, their movements less passionate than they were when you'd arrived earlier that day. With a little sigh, you tilted your head and stretched your arms.

"My name's Soonyoung, by the way." Soonyoung introduced himself, his eyes on his members' movements.

"Y/n." You cracked a smile as you followed his eyes back to the group.

-

You watched silently as one of the choreographers that worked with Soonyoung scolded one of your fellow backup dancers, hanging your head slightly in worry that you would be his next target. Except nothing came of it, the music restarting as you prepared your main section. You'd learnt from Soonyoung that the people you danced with in this section were his team - the performance unit - that he headed as team leader. You simply stared at him, impressed as he introduced the three other performance members; Junhui and Minghao, the Chinese pair and Chan, the group's maknae.

The music cued and you stepped up to the four males, shadowing their movements to the music effortlessly. You were keen as to not make a mistake, especially after the scolding everyone had just witnessed and on top of that, you wanted to impress them all as a backup dancer. You had no idea that you'd already managed to pull that off.

-

"If you look at her anymore, you'll look like a creep." Chan taunted at the older member as the two sat against the wall, snacking quietly on their break. Soonyoung scoffed, looking down at the food with a huff.

"I can't help it," he yawned, stretching his legs momentarily, "she's probably the best backup dancer they've ever hired for us."

"Why? 'Cause she can actually keep up with the paces you choreograph?" Chan laughed, pushing Soonyoung's shoulder gently, "listen to yourself, hyung."