heaven couldn't wait for you ; wen junhui

ʕっ• ᴥ • ʔっ summary; i just couldn't stand to see you leaving but heaven couldn't wait for you. ʕっ• ᴥ • ʔっ genre & tags; angst / idol!junhui / junhui & the stages of grief / lots of mention of death
 ʕっ• ᴥ • ʔっ pairing; junhui x afab!reader
ʕっ• ᴥ • ʔっ word count; 2.1k words

ʕっ• ᴥ • ʔっ author's note; i bawled writing this i am so sorry; title and summary based off lyrics from 'heaven' by beyonce
⋘ 𝑙𝑜𝑎𝑑𝑖𝑛𝑔 𝑑𝑎𝑡𝑎... ⋙

The soft, echoing sounds of the piano notes rang through the desolate apartment. The curtains hadn't been opened in weeks, sunlight barely making it through a small crack as he kept the place dark and silent. His phone would light up occasionally from the top of the piano where he'd placed it prior to his performance in the living room of your apartment. He only had one person in mind as his audience, the one person he wanted most by his side right now. You would share the stool with him, swaying to the music he'd produce as you watched his nimble fingers dance along the keys.

No matter how much he pictured your form beside him out of the corner of his eyes, it would not change the heart wrenching feeling he'd get when he turned his head and you wasn't there. He'd wake up and there would no longer be the smell of cooking bacon to greet him, instead just the smell of unwashed sheets he'd long stopped caring about since you passed. The ear piercing sound of his ringtone disturbed the peaceful aura the piano had created, his phone vibrating slightly against the piano. His fingers stopped moving, his eyes trained to the phone screen as he exhaled and reached for it. He knew there was only so long he could avoid his group members and on top of that, the general public that was watching his every move as an idol.

"Hm?" Junhui let out the small hum as he answered the phone, pressing it to his ear. The relieved sigh of the group's leader and oldest member came through the phone.

"The statement has just been released, I wasn't sure if you knew." Seungcheol spoke in a soft tone towards the male. Junhui stayed silent, his eyes staring blankly at the framed photo he'd placed on top of the piano. It was the two of you, two years into the extravagant relationship Junhui provided you in. It was behind the scenes of one of the group's Going Seventeen episodes. You always tagged along when they travelled, sticking with the staff as you supported your boyfriend no matter what.

"Thanks." Junhui whispered out and Seungcheol murmured a gentle sound in response. Seungcheol could sit here and convince himself all day that it was just an off day for Junhui, one of his four foreign members and that he would perk up soon and return to normality. Yet it wasn't the truth, as Junhui sat a former shell of himself in replacement of your absence. The statement so important that it required Seungcheol's phone call was that releasing the information to Seventeen's fans that Junhui's partner had passed away and he would promptly be on a hiatus, stepping away from promotions and public appearances for the foreseeable future.

Junhui could almost crack a sickly smile at the thought of anybody seeing him in his current state, the lack of care he'd centred to himself was beginning to show and he was doubtful he'd even look the same to the public eye if he appeared now.

"You know where we are, Jun," Seungcheol finally spoke once more, breaking the static silence between the two, "we can cook dinner and bring it to you some nights if you wish."

Junhui hummed with a small nod as if Seungcheol could see his movements. He exhaled shakily, hanging his head as his eyes finally fell from the photo of your face with a painful stinging feeling entail as he felt tears overwhelm him.

"I don't know what to do, hyung," he sobbed out, letting out a small stressed yell into the air of the apartment, "every day I expect to turn around and she's there but she's never there anymore."