til death do us part ; xu minghao

ʕっ• ᴥ • ʔっ summary; we were a pair but i saw you there, too much to bear. you were my life but life is far away from fair.
ʕっ• ᴥ • ʔっ genre & tags; angst / criminal!au / warnings for death, murder, suicide - you were warned these are heavy descriptions / hao and reader are a duo
ʕっ• ᴥ • ʔっ pairing; minghao x afab!reader
ʕっ• ᴥ • ʔっ word count; 2.4k words

ʕっ• ᴥ • ʔっ author's note; summary is lyrics from 'no time to die' by billie eilish
⋘ 𝑙𝑜𝑎𝑑𝑖𝑛𝑔 𝑑𝑎𝑡𝑎... ⋙

"Yet another homicide attack happened last night at five-star hotel chain in Seoul with a total of twelve victims," the news reporter announced solemnly on the coffee shop's TV, "this tragic event follows a gas attack that took place just last week with thirty-nine victims. The Seoul Police Department not only believe that these two attacks are connected but also believe that the hospital attack last year may be linked too."

You drummed your nails on the table, your gaze falling from the TV to the unsuspecting customers of the coffee shop who had began to mumble amongst themselves regarding the news report they'd just witnessed on live television. You scoffed lightly, taking a sip from the mug of coffee you'd ordered just to look ordinary. You were finding it hard to believe that the police department were only now beginning to believe all these attacks were linked. Between the two of you, your partner and yourself had taken over two hundred victims in the last five years, using differentiating methods every time but always targeting the wealthy.

On this particular day, you were eyeing up a government official as he drank coffee with his wife over a slice of carrot cake. You rolled your eyes, looking away from the couple as you awaited your next orders.

"Y/n?" the familiar voice spoke up in the ear piece you were hiding with your hair. You sat up immediately, "I've cut the CCTV. Remember to act like a victim."

A hum came from your throat even though he wouldn't hear it, reaching into your bag and pulling out a small cannister of gas. You placed it on the seat beside you, hiding it as you pulled it open and held your breath. It began to fill the room with a foggy smoke, choking those who were unaware. You took that as your sign to escape to fresh air, grabbing your bag in your hand and making a break for the coffee shop's door.

It burst open, flinging you onto the concrete outside as you pretended to splutter and cough as bystanders rushed to your side.

"Are you okay ma'am?" A woman asked, crouching beside you as you pretended to cry in response to the attack you'd just been a 'victim' too.

"Help them!" you cried out, pointing to the coffee shop, "there are others in there!"

A crowd rushed towards the coffee shop, trying to waft away the gas with their hands as they tried to enter, listening to the pained screams of those inside as the gas took them down.

"Good job," Minghao purred in your ear proudly, "I'll meet you back at the apartment."

-

The saucepan began to bubble over with boiling water as Minghao took no notice of it, his eyes following you as you emerged into the kitchen fresh out of the shower. You needed to wash any remaining gas from your body before it affected you long term as a result of your own actions, so you'd taken an incredibly refreshing shower in response. Wandering to beside Minghao, you lifted the saucepan's lid and let the bubbles simmer down as you glanced up at him and he jolted back to life, taking the lid from your hand and beginning to stir the contents of the saucepan.

You rose a brow, leaning back on the counter as you watched him stir.

"Do they suspect you?" Minghao suddenly asked to break the silence and you shook your head, folding your arms across your chest as you tilted your head back.