o4 || dustin

Dustin Henderson got a buzz. The party actually turned out to be somewhat okay. His sister was there to keep the jocks at bay and Eddie seemed pleased as peach with how the party turned out, despite him getting called a freak and all. Dustin was well aware of Eddie's long term crush, if you will, on his older sister. It honestly grossed him out, but he got it. His sister was one of those cool people who didn't have to try to be cool. She was never in extracurricular activities and dyed her hair funky colors, she just emanated laid back and cool. She even worked at a laid back record shop in town owned by a family of pot heads, much like his sister. He diverted his attention back to the task at hand; his sister was cleaning up after the party and Dustin was given the simple job of checking the mail. He ripped the mailbox door open before scooping out the large stack of mail from inside.

As he flipped through, most of it was for his mother. Avon catalogues, coupon booklets, and offers for credit cards. That is until he stopped on something that intrigued him. A smaller envelope addressed to him, Dustin Hendereson from none other than Charlie Henderson, his father. He stopped in his tracks and his mouth went dry. The mention of his father brought back so many fond memories. Granted, he hadn't seen his father since he was in elementary school, the man always made an effort to call or send a birthday card. This one was late as usual, but he couldn't help but want to read it. As soon as he got inside, he slapped the rest of the mail down on the table before retreating to the large sofa to read his mail. He slowly opened it, eyeing Delilah who was vacuuming the living room. He pulled out a humble birthday card with a dog on it in one of those paper cone hats. Inside was a hundred bucks! He was making out like a bandit already. There was a small inscription insidethat read,

"Dustin, I'm sorry I missed another one. Coming home soon. Miss you and your sister so much! Love, Dad."

Coming home soon? Was this for real? Would he shortly be reunited with the man that raised him? Taught him how to ride a bike and got him started on his comic book collection? The Charlie Henderson could potentially be coming home. He never said that in any of his other birthday cards, now there was a chance.

"Whatcha got there, kid?" Delilah's voice broke into his thoughts as he held the card closer to his chest.

"Um . . .a birthday card," He started off slow and released his intense clutch on the card. He wasn't sure how his sister was going to react since her father had left quite the bad taste in her mouth.

"Your birthday was like two months ago which means it can only be from Charlie Henderson, huh?" She scoffed before turning on her heels, disinterested in whatever the card had to say.

"He said he's coming home soon," He spoke out, watching his sister stop dead in her tracks. She didn't turn around for what seemed like an eternity. She just stood there with her fists clenched and her messy bun standing perfectly still on the top of her head.

"Dustin . . ." She started off, sounding a little more sad than he had anticipated.

"He's never said that in any of his other letters, D!" He started to make excuses for his unavailable father. "What if this is real? What if he's really coming home?"

"You really want that?" She asked, turning her head just slightly so he could see the profile of her thin face. "You really want someone who abandoned us like that to come back? For what? Is he low on cash? What does he want?"

Her questions were insinuating that their father didn't just miss them? Why did she always have to think so negatively when it came to him? She never gave him the benefit of the doubt. Whenever he would randomly call, she never spoke to him. She also never got a phone call or a birthday card for herself. "Can't you just believe that he wants to be part of the family again?"

"No Dustin, I can't!" She snapped, turning around to face him. "He left and lied to me, Dustin. Don't you understand? He's not a good person. Just because he sends your late birthday cards, might I add, doesn't mean he wants anything to do with us!"

"You're wrong!" Dustin spoke back out to her, raising his voice, clutching the card to his chest, "We don't understand anything going on with him, D. All we know is he wants to come home!"

"I don't need to understand what goes through a guy's head that just up and leaves his kids! His wife! Your mom, Dustin. He left us and he-" She stopped dead in her tracks before she shook her head, "He isn't a good guy. He's a dead beat, no good, low down, piece of shit!" She yelled.

Dustin had only ever seen her yell one other time and it was over dad again. Mom had begged her not to give up hope that he would come back, but Delilah was already set that she would never see her dad again. She had always had a negative attitude about him and Dustin couldn't really blame her. Her birth mom had done the exact same thing to her. At least that's what his mom had told him. He couldn't imagine how she felt, everyone leaving her.

"Well, if he shows back up, you can tell him yourself." Dustin got to his feet, card and hundred dollar bill clutched in his hands before making his way to his room and slamming the door.