o16 || dustin

Fall break had come and gone, he spent most of it playing D&D, video games, and talking to Suzie over his radio. Overall it had gone relatively well. Quick, but well. Now winter break was coming up and Dustin was more than ready. As he sat in the last class of the last day before winter break, he let his mind wander about what to get into. He was hoping his sister wasn't throwing any parties so he could have reign over the house since his mom was out of town but only until tomorrow. She was traveling a lot lately, saying she was going on different women's retreats for work. He wasn't sure he quite believed her but as the bell rang, Dustin practically bolted out of class. His backpack slapped against his back as he quickly made his way to his locker, cramming all the books he wouldn't need over winter break into it. He shut it with a slam before turning around and meeting faces with Eddie Munson.

He had had an extra pep in his step ever since Halloween and from what he could tell, things were going really well between his dungeon master and sister. She showed up a lot to pick him up from school and they'd go to his trailer or to her room and smoke pot and do whatever Eddie Munson and Delilah Henderson did with one another in their spare time. Dustin shoved the thought from his mind before Eddie swung an arm around him. "Ready for Hellfire tonight? It's going to be a good one, I can just feel it, Henderson!" He said, traipsing down the hall with him under his shoulder.

"Yeah man, and my mom is still out of town! Maybe Delilah will let me have another beer if she's home tonight," He joked before the two made their way out of the school.

"I thought your sister had work tonight?" He asked, annoying Dustin that he knew her schedule a little better than he did.

"She does but she gets off at like four o clock so she'll be home around the same time I will be. Unless of course, my favorite Dungeon Master wants to give me a ride home," He asked, wiggling his brows at his friend.

"We can raid the fridge before she gets home and you can snag some beers," He offered his sister's product to him. The two made a deal to exchange a ride for some beer and the two were off to the races. They jammed out to a mixed tape that he had in his car with all sorts of heavy metal bands. It didn't take long for them to pull into the driveway when they both noticed that Claudia Henderson's car was in the driveway. "So much for raiding the fridge," Dustin said, disappointed before he hopped out of the van. He grabbed his backpack up and swung it over his shoulders, hearing Eddie hop out on his side as well.

The two skipped up the three step porch before entering the home. Dustin's mom was no where to be seen at first so Dustin called for her. "Mom? Mom!" She responded with a soft, "In the kitchen sweetie!" Dustin and Eddie looked at one another before adventuring into the kitchen area. Upon entering, Dustin stopped in his tracks. His eyes scanned over the table, his mom sitting at the head of the six chair table and a man sitting next to her. The man looked different, but not enough for Dustin to have forgotten him.

"Dad?" He spoke out softly, his lips coming together in a harsh frown.

Was that really his father sitting at the table? He hadn't seen him ever since that Halloween night when he had taken Delilah and him trick r treating. He dressed up like Batman and she dressed up like a hippie. He couldn't look over at Eddie who he was sure was confused at the situation at hand. Dustin opened his mouth but then heard a door close behind him. HIs breath was hitched in his lungs as he realized his sister was off from work and walking in the door.

"Hello?" She called, probably noticing not only her mom's car but Eddie's van as well. Dustin began sweating feverishly, nervous for the interaction that was about to occur. He had dreamed of this moment, but knew that things probably wouldn't go the way he wanted them to.

"In here sweetie!" Their mom called out to her and Dustin and Claudia made direct eye contact. Dustin gulped at the thought of seeing his sister's face when she walked into the kitchen. He wished he could hide from it, he wished Eddie wasn't here to witness what was going to become a colossal family drama.

Eddie had turned to face Delilah but slowly stepped out of her way, Dustin, standing in her path. She held a confused look on her face before she made her way completely into the kitchen. Her face contorted to a strange calm he had never seen on her before.

"Hey kids, long time no see," His words stung Dustin at the fact that he took this so effortlessly. As if he hadn't abandoned his kids for five years.

Dustin watched as Delilah's fists clenched and she began to shake lightly. Their mother's face held concern as she reached her hand out towards Delilah. "Baby, it's okay,"

"Stop it," Delilah snapped at their mother. Her voice was cool and cold, like she wasn't in the room with the people she cared about most, but in some kind of intense battle, "What the fuck are you doing here?" Her words shot through the room, extinguishing whatever noise there was left in it.

"Language, Delilah," Their mother pleaded with her, retracting her hand back into her lap. Dustin watched as Delilah merely shot her a cold stare before returning her gaze back on the siblings' father.

"I decided it was time to come home," He spoke softly, standing to his feet. Delilah twitched lightly and took a step back. She was like a scared, rabid, animal. Ready to strike at any moment.

"Oh what did you get lost for five fucking years?!" Delilah shouted, she resembled an angry cat, hissing at a dog on the sidewalk.

"Delilah, that's enough!" Their mother shouted over the two of them, which wasn't hard to do. The two both held cool composures but looked pissed at one another. Well, maybe not so much their father who looked as if he was trying to tame a wild beast.

"What do you want?" She asked, her voice still cold as ice.

"Delilah, just give him a-" Before Dustin could finish, she snapped at him.

"Dustin, get out of this," She snarled before returning her direction back towards their father.

He didn't know what to do. He was frozen in fear, worried that his sister was so upset that punches might get thrown or fists swung at one another. He wasn't sure he really knew his dad anymore, but desperately wished Delilah would give him a second chance. Then again, had she used her second chance when her mother left town? Dustin's head was spinning before he looked back an equally as intimidated Eddie who was standing in perfect silence.

"I know we have a lot of ground to cover," Their father took a step towards her and she took one back, bumping into Eddie, "But I think we can work through this, flower."

"Don't you fucking call me that!" She snapped, her yell reverberating off the walls. "You don't get to call me that anymore," She said, her voice stinging with some other emotion that was bubbling at her surface.

"Delilah, please, let's just talk," He took another step forward and Delilah spurred him on, shoving him backwards softly. "And who are you?" Their father asked, pointing at Eddie.

"I'm a uh . . ." His face looked panicked and uncertain, being wrapped up in the middle of this family drama "I'm a friend of Dustin and Delilah's." He spoke out kind of softly, though his hand shot for the raging girl next to him. Dustin noticed that he couldn't hold her hand before long when she snapped it out of his grasp.

"None of your business, Charles," She snarked at him, getting back in his face.

"Delilah, you're acting out, I understand-"

"You don't understand shit!" She yelled, startling almost everyone in the room with the sudden raise of volume in her tone, "You don't get to waltz back in here and start being a fuckin' dad randomly. It doesn't work like that!" The more she yelled, the quieter the room grew. "Come on,let's go," Delilah said, spinning on her heel and grabbing Eddie's hand.

"Delilah, don't!" Dustin called after his eldest sister, not wanting to end this conversation the way it was going. She didn't listen though. She merely stormed off with Eddie out of the house without another word spoken.