o40 || steve

Steve Harrington was harboring a fugitive. There were things in Steve's life he never thought he would have to do. Worry about anything other than graduating, which he barely did. Fighting demogorgans. Losing the girl of his dreams. Getting drugged by Russians and attacked by them in a mall where he worked as an ice cream scooper. Fighting a Freddy Krueger-esque mad man in the upside down and now he was driving Eddie Munson out of town. The two drove in complete silence for the first hour or so. He wasn't sure what to say to him. They had both nearly survived Vecna and the bats and now he was taking Eddie to another city for him to hide out in. The worst part about it all is he was the only one who knew Eddie was still alive.

"I really appreciate this man," Eddie finally spoke out in the silence of the drive, "And um . . . thanks for . . . not telling Delilah."

Steve glanced over at Eddie with his brows scrunched, still confused as to why he had to keep this as secret as it was. Especially from Delilah. Granted the two weren't really all that close, she was still one of his best friend's older sister and he knew how crazy she was about Eddie. He had mostly recovered in the couple of days. The wounds weren't as bad as everyone, including Eddie, had thought. He had passed out from shock and had almost been left for dead in the upside down if it hadn't been for Delilah's incessant assurance that she wanted his body out of the upside down. Thank god for that.

"If I gotta be honest with you, I don't love the idea of keeping this from her," He spoke softly, turning down the radio so that they could communicate a little more clearly.

"And you think I do?"He asked, with a sigh, "Look, I'm wanted by the police now. There's not a whole lot I can do. If I turn myself in, I can't let Delilah see me behind bars. Wait for her murderer boyfriend to get out," He started but Steve was quick to cut him off.

"You're not a murderer, Eddie," He spoke kindly, glancing over at him once again as they drove down the packed road. Everyone was leaving Hawkins ever since the earthquake. It was making this drive even longer than it should have been. "And maybe she could have come with you?" He asked, sympathetic for the poor girl back at Hawkins who had apparently locked herself in her room and was refusing to come out.

"And give up everything she had back in Hawkins? I don't think so. Delilah has a future ahead of her, I know it. And she can't very well do it by someone wanted for the murder of so many people . . . ." He said with a small sigh at the end. "Look, just promise me you won't say anything to her, ever," He spoke with a serious tone.

Steve hesitated for a moment, not sure if he could honestly keep something so big not only from Delilah but Dustin. Him and Eddie were probably closer than him and Steve were, as much as he hated to admit it. Eddie and the Hendersons were very connected and he hated that he would have to live with this secret forever. "I promise."

"Thank you," Eddie responded softly before looking back at Steve, "Has anyone heard from Delilah?" He asked, and Steve's chest hurt in knowing that she was not doing okay.

"Um, no, Dustin just said she isn't leaving her room," He half lied.

Dustin had told him everything about how Delilah was grieving. She wouldn't leave her room, she wouldn't stop crying, she hardly even smoked weed she was so upset. It sounded miniscule to some people, but everyone knew what a pot head Delilah was. But Dustin said the only thing she had been leaving her room for besides the bathroom was to get a drink. She was pounding back the booze like nobody's business. Nothing could stop her, Dustin said. She was inconsolable. Not even Dustin could make her feel better.

"I really do love her, man," He said, looking over at him before looking back at the road, "Have you ever been in love, Harrington?" He asked.

Steve took a deep breath, thinking about everything him and Nancy had just been through together. Not just now, but everything in general. And she had traded him for Jonathan Byers. He still wasn't over it. He had seen them together recently and it stung just as much as it did when he first heard about them. He'd never forget about seeing her at the snowball dance from outside, jealous of whoever got to take her home at night. He knew jealousy wasn't cute on anyone, but he couldn't help it. He had wanted everything with Nancy and he had lost it.