o31 || dustin

Dustin was finishing up his freshman year and he was in disbelief over it. After everything with the demogorgans and the mind flayer, he never expected to make it past middle school, yet here he was; walking through the hallways of Hawkins High like he owned the place. Okay, maybe not /that/ confidently, but he was doing reasonably well all things considered. Things with his dad were still pretty tense, especially after the holidays. All Claudia wanted was for Delilah to move home, but he figured as long as Charles was there, she wouldn't be. It was a sad fact that the only time she came over was for holidays or she would pick him up from school and do something together. Not that he didn't enjoy those times, he just missed having his sister to go to if he ever needed her. So closely at least. He was sure if he could bike the crazy miles to Eddie's trailer, he would be over there a lot more himself.

That day however, he was focused with another task; finding a sub. Lucas was playing in his basketball finals or championship game that night and much to Eddie's dismay, he would not be joining the final night of Hellfire Club. Something the group had been looking towards all year. Lucas had definitely distanced himself from the group, he was trying to fit in with the popular kids now. It didn't make sense to Dustin personally. Sure he was tired of getting picked on and berated for the way he looked, acted, existed- but he wouldn't change his group of friends for the world. He had a great girlfriend to boot as well who had helped him change a grade so he wouldn't get grounded! All things considered, Dustin was relatively happy. Though finding a sub definitely wasn't easy.

He felt as if he had asked everyone, but not even Max would help out. He thought about asking Delilah but she was always working and when she wasn't there wasn't a snowball's chance in hell that she would join up for the finale. She wasn't really very good at it anyways. She had played once with them on a one off campaign Dustin had thrown together and she got very bored, very quickly. She also didn't understand how a lot of the rules worked and dice rolling- the whole thing was Greek to her. As he walked through the hallways with Mike, trying to figure out who they could ask, someone bumped into him aggressively with their shoulder. At first glance, all he saw was a letterman jacket but then he saw the perfectly cut blonde hair and wide, sneering, grin. Jason had been on him ever since the party at Delilah's those years ago.

He had also been more than aggressive to Eddie as well. People were still in disbelief that Delilah Henderson was dating Eddie Munson. People were constantly asking him about it and if his sister was into the occult now. Eddie had made a scene at lunch time about people thinking Dungeons and Dragons was a type of satanic cult. It was all kind of ridiculous to Dustin, but he just rolled his eyes after Jason was down the hall a bit.

"Maybe we should ask him?" Mike said with a snort, the two feeling dejected on their options.

"Oh yeah I'm sure him and Eddie would do so well together," Dustin rolled his eyes before making his way out of the school.

Mike had even asked Nancy, someone from the wrestling team and Dustin had used his last ditch effort which was Steve Harrington. Who also denied them. They were running out of options and fast. The two sat down on the bench and sighed.

"I hate high school," Mike groaned before looking over at Dustin who had a surprised look on his face.

"Then screw high school!" An idea had formed in his head as soon as Mike had said that and he immediately jumped up from the bench and made a mad dash for the middle school.

Mike was calling after him and begging him to slow down, but Dustin knew that this had to work. As they made their way to the courtyard, Dustin spotted none other than Erica Sinclair. After much back and forth, the girl agreed to be their sub in Dungeons and Dragons and the day seemed to be saved! As long as Eddie went for it. The man could be hard to please. Before they knew it, it was time to start the campaign. After some back and forth between Erica and Eddie, he allowed the chaotic good half-elf rogue, level 14 as she schooled him with earlier. The campaign turned out o be the best one he had ever played. The Curse of Vecna was strong and he came back to fight the adventurers. As hard as the team battled, they were at a loss. Until they suggested to fight to the death. Even after Eddie suggested they turn tail and run.

With all the good rolls he had seen in his day of D&D, Erica''s natural twenty was one for the ages. Lady Applejack had saved the day and defeated Vecna. It was one of the most epic nights they had ever had, and Dustin needed it bad. For once, his mind was family drama and school free. He had immersed himself in a fantasy world that Eddie had so intricately built. He had aspired to be as good of a dungeon master as Eddie was one day. Maybe if Eddie actually graduated this year. The thought of him and Delilah living true on their desires to move in together after he graduated made his heart swell. Not only for them, but the fact that Delilah had promised to have a bedroom for him to stay in. The idea sounded so cool. He never felt like a third wheel when he was around them. Sure sometimes they got a little affectionate from time to time in front of him, but it wasn't in a weird way. It was always so . . .. romantic almost.

Speaking of romantic, his mind was dwelling on him and Suzie. Things had been getting a lot more distant the more time spanned from that magical summer they spent together at Camp Know Where. Who knew Science camp could be a place where love bloomed? However, her religion kind of scared him. He tried not to let it bother him, but ever since his dad had been very strange about it lately, it struck him as a red flag. He tried not to think too intensely on it though as him and his teammates exited the school and headed towards Eddie's van after gathering their bikes and respective rides. Some of the boys were getting rides home from their parents, but most were riding their bikes. Eddie waved them on but Dustin called out to him.

"Hey wait up!" Dustin raced over next to Eddie as the two continued towards his van, "Hey man! That campaign, wow, just wow!" He was fanatic about it but Eddie just smiled humbly and wrapped his arm around Dustin's shoulders.

"It's all you guys who make the adventure so exciting!" He said, squeezing Dustin's shoulder tightly.

The closer Delilah and Eddie had gotten, so had him and Dustin. He felt like an older brother to him more than just a friend. He seemed to be more attuned to their friendship than some of his longest friendships. Dustin shook his head, "You gotta teach me some of your writing tricks!"

"Maybe one day I will, Henderson," He finally released his friend's shoulder before he pulled out a cigarette and stuck it between his lips.

"You okay man?" Dustin asked, noting that lately he only smoked when he seemed stressed out or upset.

"Hm? Oh yeah! Golden," He pulled the cigarette away after it was lit and he took a drag.

"Oh okay, just uh . . . hey, you wanna hang out for a bit before Delilah gets off work?" He asked, changing the subject.

"I wish I could, but I gotta meet somebody tonight," He said, kicking at the ground and taking a long puff from his cigarette.

"Oh that;s cool, maybe this weekend?" Dustin offered, slinging his leg over his bike.

"Yeah for sure! See you later, cool kid," He said before hopping into his van.

Dustin sped off down the road towards home, unaware that that would be the night that changed everything.

- - - - - - - -

Author's note; sorry this chapter was so short. The more in season stuff I have to write by the book tends to be a bit of a struggle for me, but hopefully the next chapters will be a little longer.