32 - Faded sensations

- What have you been doing in the last few weeks? - Naruto asked Sasuke before finishing yet another bowl of ramen. - Since you have a girlfriend, do you almost never show up? -

- It's over - that's all Sasuke could say, and he almost felt that tingling in his eyes.

Damn.

- How and why? You were an asshole? - asked his blond friend.

Naruto, although he had asked him where he had gone, was relieved to know that Sasuke had a girlfriend, because in that year he had seen his best friend more relaxed, more serene.

Sasuke lowered his eyelids and remained silent. Why did you leave the ivy? Because maybe next time he could have taken his own life, because he didn't want to relive that hell. The atmosphere in the new house had become even heavier.

Will you lie next to me?

It was so normal to be with her and to share everything that now also tried to make sense of being in that village, because it was useless to deceive herself, it was she who relieved him of his pains, with his only physical and mental presence.

What are we doing this weekend?

On the weekends he slept outside, thinking he was protecting his sanity, when deep down Sasuke just wanted to dig a body pit and throw himself in there.

This is for you, Happy Birthday Sasuke.

He stared at the bracelet with the blue stone and black veins that Hinata had given him for his birthday.

What about this?

It's yours. Do you like it?

He  wrinkled her lips in the ghost of a smile as she remembered the year they had become more than mere shadows keeping each other company. He couldn't get rid of that bracelet. Again he had lost someone he loved, his life was really a punishment. He had sacrificed himself to see her flourish, for to protect her from herself. What more painful atonement than depriving yourself of the only woman you ever loved?

- Sasuke - said Naruto increasingly worried. - Are you sure that you can not do anything? -

He did not answer yet, and a group of women approached Naruto. At that moment Sasuke mentally thanked the idiot's fans, didn't want him to worry about him. Ironically, again, he only had one friend in the world and then nothing, nothing but deaths and a woman who didn't even know she was with him. Time, perhaps, would help him heal the discomfort he felt in his chest every day. Probably Hinata, over the years, she would become just a perfume suffused with lavender and vanilla.

Hinata squeezed the bouquet they had given her, smiling at her colleagues

Hinata squeezed the bouquet they had given her, smiling at her colleagues. She had returned to work after a month, following the advice of her father and the clan members. She was happy, now she could live without all those people on the street asking her questions. That welcome back attention would last only that day, the others would pass them, returning to normal. All her friends were there: Kiba, Tenten, Shino, Naruto and Sakura had also come to greet her at the exit. Hinata looked at them from the window, now they were outside and were talking to Sai.