Chapter Twenty-one: Meeting Max

~November 3, 1984~

~November 3, 1984~

Night had fallen as Steve drives down the road. He was still reeling in all the information that Dustin had told him.

Steve's face scrunches up in confusion. "Wait a sec. How big?" Holding up his hand, Dustin showed with his fingers the original size Dart had been which was as small as a mouse. "First it was like that." Holding up both hands, he extends it outwards, showing Steve how big it grew. "Now he's like this." 

"I swear to God, man. It's just some little lizard, okay?" 

"It's not a lizard," Dustin fights back. "How do you know?" Steve asks him. "How do I know if it's not?" Dustin asks back. "How do you know it's not just a lizard?" "Because his face opened up and he ate my cat." "It ate Mews?" Steve asks in disbelief as Dustin nods. 

Steve sighs and drives up the driveway of the Henderson household. He shuts the car off and climbs out. Once he's out of the car, he hears the front door of the house opens. Drawing his eyes toward the door, he lets out a sigh of relief once he sees his girlfriend.

"Jess."

"Steve!"

"Dustin!" Dustin exclaims as he climbs out of the car with the bouquet of roses in his hands. Steve looks over at Dustin. "What? I thought we were all announcing our names?" Dustin tells him as he walks around the car. Jessica runs down the steps of the porch. Dustin holds his arms out, expecting his sister to hug him. But Jessica runs past her brother and into Steve's arm.