Chapter Forty-Five: SOS

~March 26, 1986~

In Hawkins, Dustin desperately attempted to contact with his sister. "Jess, do you copy?" 

No answer.

Dustin sighed on the toilet. He had excused himself to the bathroom from the cops in an attempt to contact the older teens. "Steve? Nancy? Robin? This is Dustin. Where are you? We've been collared by the law. I repeat, we've been collared by the law. Do you copy?" Static fills the bathroom. Dustin lets out a string of curses as he pushes the antenna of his walkie-talkie down. Dustin stands up from the toilet. He flushed the toilet before leaving. He stuck his head out, noticing the parents were talking quietly with Chief Powell and Officer Callahan. He snuck past them, making his way into the kitchen. He stepped off to the side as Holly walked past him with a Lite-Brite in her hands. 

Dustin sets the walkie talkie down onto the counter that Lucas was leaning against. "Anything?" he asked. Dustin shook his head. "Nothing." Lucas sighed. "You don't think they went through..." "Through Watergate?" Dustin asked. "Without us? Without a plan? Without weapons? They wouldn't be that stupid." Lucas nodded. "Yeah." "They must just be laying low 'cause the law got us."

"The law?" 

Lucas and Dustin turn their heads, Erica standing there with a juice box in hand. "What is this, Gunsmoke?" Erica strolled over to the counter and set her juice box down. "The Stupid and the Ugly? Should I round up the posse?" "Erica. Please, just go away." Lucas sternly spoke. "Here's the deal. Either you tell me what's happening or I tell Dustin what I found under your bed." Lucas' eyes widened; Dustin looked over at him in curiosity. Lucas shook his head. "Please, no." "Spill your guts, cowpuncher."