Chapter Thirty-eight: The Championship Game

~March 21, 1986~

~March 21, 1986~

"Open them now."

"But-"

Ace holds up a finger at Jess. "No buts. Open those letters now." Jessica sighs, as she held four envelopes in her hands.

After school ended, Ace drove Jessica home since Steve's shift wasn't over at Family Video. When Ace pulled up to her house, she got out of the car and ran over to the mailbox. To her relief, the acceptance letters had finally come. Ace saw through the window and got out of the car, the two running inside the house. Now, they were in her bedroom and Jessica was now reluctant to open the letters.

Jessica takes a deep breath and shuffles the letters. She fans them out in her hand and holds it up toward Ace. "Pick one." Ace extends his hand out but draws it back. "You do know that opening or destroying other people's mail is a felony?" Jess lets out an annoyed sigh. "Ace-"

"I'm too pretty for jail."

"Ace, I can't open them!" Jessica exclaims, pushing herself off the bed. "These Colleges," she waves them in Ace's face. "Had determined whether I got in or not and...I'm terrified to know what they think of me." Ace rolls his eyes and plucks out an envelope from her grasp. "You shouldn't care what-" Ace glances down at the envelope and back up at Jess. "IUPUI thinks of you." Ace rips the envelope open and pulls out the letter. "Because IUPUI is the best college in Indianapolis and -" Ace words' trail off once he sees the word "regrets to inform you". "Did I say best? I meant a godawful school."