Chapter Two: First Day of School

~September 6th, 1983~

Jessica sighed in despair, looking at the clothes in her closet. Today was her first day of sophomore year of high school and here she was, shuffling through her clothes as she had changed her mind over and over again about what to wear.

Her hands paused on a light blue sweater and she smiled as she took it off the hanger. She quickly put the soft sweater on and paired it with her favorite light washed jeans and white sneakers. Jessica took a glance back at her alarm clock; she had ten minutes to get to the bus stop. She used five of those minutes to choose an outfit. 

Clutching the schoolbag in her hand, she ran out of her room. She had nearly made it out the door when her mother stopped her. "Jessica! Come sit for breakfast. I made some waffles for you and Dustin."

Jessica sighs and makes her way over to the kitchen where Dustin was sitting and waffles. Jessica grabs a waffle and took a bite out of it as Claudia smiles. Jessica swallows the bite of waffle. "There. Now I really must go or else I'll miss the bus on my first day." Jessica turns and was almost out the door when her mom stops her again.

"Hold on sweetie! I must get a picture of you and Dustin!" Jessica sighs. How could she forget? It was a Henderson tradition. Every year on the first day of school, the Henderson family across the U.S. would take pictures of their children and send the photos to their family members. While Jessica loved the tradition when she was younger, she was beginning to despise it, all because of one person, her father.