Chapter Thirty-two: Interrogation

~July 4, 1985~

~July 4, 1985~

The group still stood by the windows, watching the Russians work on cracking the gate open. 

Steve, Jessica and Dustin share a glance. "The gate," they say in unison. "I'm sorry," Ace says drawing their attention onto him. "Did you just say, 'the gate'?" Jessica nods. "Yeah..." "Okay, then that confirms my suspicions...you three know what this is, don't you?" Jessica, Steve and Dustin nod. "We'll explain. Let's get out of here first," Dustin says as they quietly sneak out of the room. 

The six teens head down the stairs. "I don't understand. You've seen this before?" Robin asks them. "Not exactly," Steve says. "Then what, exactly?" "All you need to know is it's bad," Dustin tells her. Jessica nods in agreement. "It's really bad." "Like, end-of-the-human-race-as-we-know-it kind of bad." "Oh, that's bad," Ace says.

"And you know about this how?" Robin asks as the teens step back into the comm room. Erica glances down at the floor, expecting to find the unconscious Russian guard still there, but to her surprise, he was gone. "Um, Steve? Where's your Russian friend?"

Robin, Ace, Jessica, Steve and Dustin turn their heads down to the ground. The Russian guard was gone. Suddenly, the alarms go off, blaring throughout the headquarters. "Shit," Steve curses as he runs over to the door they had come through. He sticks his head out, seeing a squad of Russian guards up ahead. One guard spot him, signaling the rest of his group. Steve frantically slams the door shut. "Shit."