Chapter Five: Basketball Tryouts

~October 14th, 1983~

Strutting down the hallway of Hawkins High School, Steve spots Jessica at her locker. She was putting the books she wouldn't need till later into the locker, when her History textbook fell out of her hand. She waited to hear the book hit the ground but it never did. 

A hand stretched out and catches her book. Jessica's eyes follow the hand up as the person who was holding her book raised it to her eye level. She smiles lightly when she sees that Steve had saved her book. 

"Thank you for being my knight in shining armor," she tells him, taking her book out of his hand and placing it into her locker. Steve leans against the lockers. "It was my pleasure," he tells her, smiling at her. Jessica playfully rolls her eyes as she closes her locker and leans against it.

"So Harrington, what brings you to my locker?" she asks him with raised eyebrows. Steve smirks down at her. "I wanted to invite you to the basketball tryouts." Jessica was taken back by his invitation. "Me?" she asks, pointing a finger at herself. Steve chuckles at the bewildered look on her face. "Yes you," he tells her. 

"Aren't you on the team already?" Jessica asks.

Steve nods. "I still am, thanks to you." Jessica blushes at Steve's words. "But we still must tend tryouts anyway to interact with our future new teammates. So, would you like to come?" Jessica smiles but replaces it with a frown. "I would like to but..." "But?" Steve trails on. "I wouldn't have a ride home since the tryouts are after school." "I'll take you home." "You will?" Steve nods.