Chapter One: Welcome to Hawkins, Indiana

~October 4th, 1980~

~October 4th, 1980~

A single golden leaf pirouetted down an invisible spiral of breeze, spinning through the air as it let itself be carried down. It shook slightly, as it could have been whisked away any second by the grip of an icy wind, but it kept floating down the twirling course. 

The golden leaf landed slightly on the road, the shiny, vibrant color standing out against the amber and bronzes beneath it. 

Without any warning, a light-green station wagon drove over the pile of leaves, making them scatter all over the place. The thirteen-year-old girl in the backseat looked up from her book, her eyes peering out the window as she marveled at the sight of the leaves dancing in the wind before returning to her page. 

Her father, Mr. Henderson, who sat in he driver's seat, looked in the rear-view mirror and smiled lightly at his first born, Jessica. She was re-reading The Outsiders to what seems like the 100th time for Mr. Henderson. But, it was only the fifth time for Jessica. She loved everything about the book. How it unravels the good and the bad of society, the star-crossed lovers, misunderstood teenage boys and the thrilling fight scenes.

Mr. Henderson watch her flip a page before glancing to the right. he chuckles as Dustin, his ten-year-old son, plays with his Darth Vader and Luke Skywalker action figures. Dustin mimicked Darth Vader's breathing. "No...I am your father," Dustin looked at Luke and cleared his throat. "NOOOO!" he yelled, catching his sister's attention who looks up from her book, a laugh escaping through her lips.