Chapter Twenty-three: The Mind Flayer

~November 4, 1984~

~November 4, 1984~

The gang were all now at the Byers' house. Jessica and Steve stood in the kitchen, watching over Max, Lucas, Dustin and Mike who all sat at the table. The six teens had their eyes trained on Hopper who was on the phone, begging for help from the military.

Hopper lets out a deep sigh and slams the phone down onto the receiver. He turns around and falters when he sees the teenagers looking at him. Dustin places his hands onto the table, pushing himself up out of the chair. "They didn't believe you, did they?" 

"We'll see." 

Mike shakes his head. "'We'll see'? We can't just sit here while those things are loose!" "We stay here, and we wait for help," Hopper tells him in a stern tone before walking off. Mike glares after Hopper. Dustin sits back down in the chair, the party suddenly becoming quiet. 

Steve leans against the counter and holds his hand out toward Jessica. She takes it, allowing him to pull her close to him. Jessica snuggles up to Steve and hums blissfully as Steve rubs soothing circles onto her lower back. She was exhausted. But she knew that they couldn't fall asleep now. Not while the shadow monster was inside Will. They needed to free him now and quickly. 

Jessica lifts her head up from Steve's chest at the sound of a chair scooting back. She watches as Mike walks into the living room and picks up a blue box. "Did you guys know that Bob was the original founder of Hawkins AV?" "Really?" Lucas asked in shock. Mike turns, facing the party. "He petitioned the school to start it and everything. Then he had a fund-raiser for equipment. Mr. Clarke learned everything from him." Mike walks into the room, fiddling with the blue box in his hands. "Pretty awesome, right?" "Yeah," Dustin and Lucas say in agreement.