Chapter 39 || "Couple of fucks."

- Pandora -

"He knew that when he kissed this girl, and forever wed his unutterable visions to her perishable breath, his mind would never romp again like the mind of God. So he waited, listening for a moment longer to the tuning-fork that had been struck upon a star. Then he kissed her. At his lips' touch she blossomed for him like a flower and the incarnation was complete."

I stared blankly at my paper, taking a curious glance around my deadly quiet English classroom before returning my attention to the large paragraph of words. I knew they held meaning - every piece of text held meaning - but I just didn't know what. I wasn't as smart nor open-minded as the teachers believed me to be, and I couldn't see past those words. I couldn't find the hidden meaning.

"Okay class! Time's up!" My lovely - yet extremely obnoxious - English teacher cried, causing most of his pupils to jump in fright.

I let out a small sigh of relief before pushing my paper away from me, glad to be rid of it. After staring at the same paragraph for the past ten minutes, you'd think I would have at least thought of something, but I hadn't.

"Now, who would like to share their thoughts?"

I watched in amusement as everyone sunk lower in their chairs, avoiding all eye contact with the teacher. Nobody wanted to share their thoughts purely because we didn't have any positive ones. The most positive comment you could get from me right now was: 'It is romantic'

That's it.

"No one?" He frowned, seeming slightly disappointed by the turn-out "Really?"

"I'll talk."

Everyone's attention shifted towards the back of the classroom, landing on one boy in particular. He was smirking, running a hand through his unruly locks of hair. I felt my chest tighten with jealousy as he sent a small wink towards the girl next to me, causing a small gasp to escape her lips.

"Oh my god," she murmured, gently elbowing me in the ribs "did you see that?"

Yes.

"No." I lied, attempting to appear completely clueless "What was it?"

"Ashton Irwin winked at me." She breathed, her eyes wide with shock "He fücking winked at me."

Well he's fücked me.

"That's cool." I nodded, ignoring the powerful urge to slap her.

"Do you think he likes me?"

"What?" I coughed, widening my eyes in disbelief.

It was a goddamn wink, not a fücking bouquet of roses.

"I know it's silly," she sighed, quickly shaking her head "but he just keeps looking over here and smiling and I- I don't know. I just think he likes me."

I swallowed back my annoyance before shooting her a painfully fake smile, attempting to appear slightly happy. If what she says is correct - and Ashton is constantly looking over - then that could mean he is possibly looking at me, and I cannot deny the feeling of warmth that brings me. But it could also mean that he is looking at her, and that is not a thought I would like to dwell on.

"Well, Ashton," the teacher sighed, appearing slightly apprehensive "what are your thoughts?"

"I liked it," Ashton stated, his voice thick with confidence "Gatsby loved Daisy, and knew that when he kissed her, all the dreams he had of her would become known and never be private again. Yet he didn't care. He kissed her anyway because he loved her, and felt as though she was worthy to share his private thoughts and fantasies."