Chapter 74 || "Frankly Panny dear I don't give a damn."

We don't have High School graduation where I'm from so sorry if this isn't accurate. I've literally just based this whole chapter off of what I've witnessed on High School Musical and the Even Stevens movie

- Pandora -

"Luke Hemmings!"

My breathing was shallow, lips parted as I blew out short, shaky breaths. Every so often I was forced to rub my hands against the uncomfortable material of my robe, surely staining the ridiculously bright fabric.

High School Musical never informed me that graduating would be this nerve racking.

Taking a glance at my classmates behind me - sombre expression upon their tired faces - I knew I was overreacting. I knew that this was not something to faint over. But as my heart rate increased and legs weakened, I questioned the probability of throwing up.

I was next. I was next and I was so horrifically unprepared.

Watching as my brother calmly strolled across the stage, shaking hands with the Principal and receiving his diploma, I questioned our relation. I questioned how he could possibly be so composed, while I was seconds away from running off the bloody stage.

I wanted someone to console me, I wanted Ashton to console me, but that was selfish of me. I couldn't blatantly lie to his face one day then expect his love and affection the next.

I broke his heart so he could freely pursue his dreams and I selfishly wished I hadn't.

"Pandora Hemmings!"

And suddenly I had forgotten how to walk.

With wide eyes, I stared blankly at the awaiting principal upon the stage, silently questioning if I had heard him correctly. He confirmed my suspicions with a small smile, one hand holding my diploma and the other outstretched towards me.

Shít

Gathering the little courage I possessed, I cautiously walked across the large stage, aware of the hundreds of eyes now focused intently upon me. I could almost imagine my mother, smiling happily to herself while boasting profusely to surrounding parents, thoroughly embarrassing her two sons sitting beside her. She had waited eighteen years for this moment. Eighteen years, just watch me walk across a stage and grab a piece of paper.

If I fell, I would never live this down.

"Well done, Pandora."

Coming to a halt, I grinned pleasantly at my Principal's praise, taking his larger hand in mine and giving it a tentative shake. I don't think I had ever spoken to him before, but as he began to thank me for all my 'efforts' in school, I really didn't give two shíts.

My effort was being acknowledged. Not just my work, but my effort - physical and mental.

"Good luck at Queensland University."

"Wait, what-"

"Jenna Humphrey!"

And with that I was forgotten, the audience's attention now focused intently upon the new graduate. I wished to ask the Principal how he knew of my future choices, how he knew of my future choices before I even knew them myself, but before I could utter a word from my parted lips I was ushered off the stage, Jenna replacing me in the centre spotlight - as usual.

With a troubled expression, I walked solemnly towards my awaiting classmates - grouped together like children. They were a sea of aspiration and concern, hopeful for their future yet fearful of what lay ahead. They wished to leave High School but remain entwined in its safety, for education was all they had ever known. Without teachers and pupils and lessons and bells they had nothing but themselves and their new lives to focus upon, and that frightened them - frightened me. What would we then direct our unnecessary hatred towards? Politics? Work? Adult stuff.