Chapter 73 || "I never deserved you."

- Pandora -

Ashton strolled in at a leisurely pace, his hands tucked into the pockets of his faded black jeans and his brow set with determination. His hazel eyes had an edge to them - an edge I hadn't seen for months now - and a harsh bruise was visible upon his left cheekbone, purple and angry. It didn't take him long to notice us - notice me - but he didn't react to our presence, continuing on towards the bar.

"What happened to him?" Evie questioned, her blue eyes wide with wonder.

I shrugged, tracing random patterns against the cool surface of the table. I wished to remain excluded from all Ashton drama.

"Mikey, go ask him what happened."

"Wha- Why me?" Michael exclaimed, his lips curled upwards in evident disdain "Why can't Calum go?"

"Excuse me?" Calum coughed, shocked by his friend's sudden betrayal "You know I can't!"

"Why not?"

"He scares me."

"Oh my god-"

"Look at him!" Calum insisted, pointing a slender finger towards the dishevelled boy seated at the bar "He looks like an extra from Fight Club! Basically stepped out from a scene from Rocky."

"Stop that." Evie scolded, lightly whacking his hand down "He's still your friend."

"My scary friend."

"For fücks sake, I'll go." Michael grumbled, rolling his eyes in annoyance "But if I'm not back in five minutes, call the police."

"But you'll be right there," I frowned, gesturing towards the open bar "we can see you."

"Call the police." He emphasised, his green eyes staring intensely into my own. Seconds after, he abruptly stood, clambering over Calum to exit the tightly packed booth.

With wide eyes, we watched as Michael slowly approached Ashton, attempting to contain our irritated yells as he continually turned back in fear. After a second of what seemed to be mental preparation, he finally seated himself beside his friend at the bar, attempting to appear casual but only looking more awkward.

"Hey, Ashton." I heard, Michael's voice a soft murmur from across the room.

"Hey, Mikey." Ashton responded, his voice thick with what I could only guess was a hangover.

The words exchanged afterwards were too soft to be heard, yet with the way Ashton's shoulders would shake with laughter and Michael's demeanour would relax with every passing second, I could only guess things were going well.

"Can anyone hear what they're saying?" Calum grumbled, studying the two boys with narrowed eyes - consumed by jealousy

"His five minutes are nearly up." I announced

"Maybe you should go check on them?" Evie suggested, her eyes focused intently upon Calum "Just to make sure everything's okay."

"I'm sure everything's fine."

"You don't know that."

"He's laughing."

"Could be nerves."

"Evie-"

"He's leaving now." I interrupted, watching as Michael finally hopped down from his bar stool and exchanged an affectionate hug with his friend, showing more PDA with Ashton in that one brief moment than I ever did.

Turning to approach us, Michael's grin stretched from ear to ear, his relief evident in his expression. Although eager to avoid all Ashton drama, I had to admit I was curious to how he acquired a large bruise upon his cheekbone - especially just a day after we broke up.