'A girl?'

*ੈ✩‧₊˚

The lights were off and it was dead quiet, Rah looked around at the broken glass, her eyes catching the lifted floorboard across the room.

The girl walked towards the raised flooring as she furrowed her eyebrows, her gaze landing on the box reading 'lab.'

The lid was lifted off, revealing the unorganized piles of paperwork.

Rah got down onto her hands and knees, sorting through old newspaper clippings and documents.

The girl sighed, putting the box back down where it was, reaching forward to grab the other labelled 'Sarah' but opted to leave it alone.

It was dark outside now and the house was completely silent as Rah searched for her flashlight.

Picking up her newly packed bag, the girl headed out the door.

She was walking towards Max's house but decided to change path when she remembered what had happened between them at school.

Instead, the girl made her way through Loch Nora down to the house down at the end of the street, she stood in front of the large double doors before knocking twice.

Rah hit her fingers against her jeans in a rhythmic pattern as she waited impatiently.

The doors soon opened to reveal a messy haired boy.

"Rah Rah?" he questioned, raising his eyebrows as he looked down upon the girl.

"Hey Steve." she greeted. "Can I stay here tonight?"

It wasn't the first time the girl had stayed over at the older boys house, Rah would go over when it was too much staying at the Cabin after a fight with her father or Eleven.

Steve invited the girl in, showing her to the spare room that she usually stayed in.

"Are you hungry? Have you had dinner yet?" the boy asked her, offering to make her some food.

The two of them sat at the Harrington's dining room table as they ate the pizza they had defrosted.

"So," Steve started "did you want to come help me find some flowers I can apologize to Nancy with tomorrow?"

"Wait, why are you apologizing to Nancy?" asked Rah "what did you do?" she reprimanded.

The older boy sighed, "apparently I'm bullshit and we killed Barb."

Rah gasped dramatically.

"So my question still stands then, why are you apologizing?" she asked putting emphasis on the 'you.'

"I don't know." Steve admitted, biting down into his slice of pizza.

After dinner, Rah had a shower and changed into the pajamas she packed for herself before saying goodnight to Steve and going to bed.

The silence in the house was short lived as the girl abruptly woke up from her dream in a sweat.

Rah panicked as she looked around the spare room. Slowly putting her feet on the ground, the girl ran to the older boys room, knocking on the door before opening it.

"Steve?" Rah spoke into the quiet room.

She watched as the boy stirred awake, sitting up in his bed to look at the girl.

"It's my dad, I think he's in trouble." Rah told him.

"What? How do you know?"

"I saw him. In my dream but it wasn't like a dream, it was too real." she admitted.

Steve tried to console the girl, telling her that it was just a nightmare. PTSD.

The boy put his head back down on the pillow, Rah just standing in his room not sure what to do. Steve rolled back over to see her looking around unsurely.

"Stay here." The boy told her, walking out of the room.

A moment later Steve came back in, dragging the mattress from the spare bedroom behind him. 

Rah smiled, walking towards him and pulling him into a quick hug. The boy returned the gesture before motioning for her to lie down and try to go back to sleep.

-

The next morning, Rah and Steve walked around the florist. The girl helping him choose flowers for Nancy.

"I just don't think you need to be buying her flowers." Rah rambled on to Steve. "It's not like you've really done anything primarily wrong. But I mean, who am I to talk? The only girl problems I have is the fact that this girl doesn't want anything to do with me anymore and I'm like ninety-nine percent sure she isn't into.. My type."

Steve smirked over at her, "a girl huh?"

Rah quickly turned her head towards the boy, wishing she could smack the smug look off of his face.

"Yeah girl, and if you tell anyone that Steve, I will come for you." The girl threatened.

The older boy put his hands in the air in defense, "okay, okay."

-

The two pulled up outside of the Wheelers house, Steve hopping out whilst Rah stayed in the car.

She watched in anticipation as the boy walked towards the door, her face dropping when Dustin stopped him.

Rah furrowed her eyebrows as the two boys walked back towards her, the curly haired boy opening the passenger door to reveal the girl.

"I'm in the front loser, hop in the back." she told him.

Dustin muttered under his breath as he moved towards the back seat and got in.

No one spoke as Rah played with the radio, stopping when a good song came on, bopping her head as she looked out the car window.