'Mews is gone'

*ੈ✩‧₊˚

Her legs felt heavier as she trudged along the old train tracks and she could feel her shirt sticking to her back as the blood soaked through it.

Rah took a sharp intake of breath as a stabbing pain shot up her spine, reaching the large gash in her back.

"You okay?" asked Max, eyes scanning the blonde girls face.

"Yeah, of course. Don't worry about me." Rah assured her.

The redhead apprehensively nodded her head, focusing her attention back to the conversation in front of her.

"You're positive that was Dart?" They heard Lucas ask.

"Yes. he had the exact yellow pattern on his butt."
Rah grimaced as she listened to the curly haired boys reply.

"Weird observation, Dust-bin."

The boy just rolled his eyes at the girl before answering Max's question.

"Well, he's molted three times already."

"Malted?" questioned Steve, "Molted. Shed his skin to make room for growth, like hornworms." The younger boy explained.

"When's he gonna molt again?"

"It's gotta be soon, when he does, he'll be fully grown or close to it. And so will his friends."

"Yeah, and he's gonna eat a lot more than just cats." added Steve.

"Wait, a cat? Dart ate a cat?" implored Lucas.

"No, What? No." Dustin tried to defend himself.

"What are you talking about? He ate Mews." The older boy told him. Rah grimaced as she looked between everyone.

"Mews? Who's Mews?"

"It's Dustin's cat."

"Steve!" Dustin groaned.

"I knew it, you kept him!" Lucas accused, pushing the other boy. "No!"

"Come on Dust-bin, it's a bit too late for excuses now." The blonde girl sighed.

"And you knew!" the boy yelled, turning towards her. "Oh piss off Lucas! Seriously? I only found out a few hours ago and honestly, at this point, it doesn't even matter anymore."

"It does matter! He put the party in jeopardy" Lucas turned back towards Dustin, "you broke the rule of law!"

"So did you! You told a stranger the truth"

Rah rolled her eyes as Max scoffed, moving forward, "a stranger?"

The blonde girl looked out through the trees before making eye contact with Steve, the two nodded in understanding.

"Guys." The older boy spoke up, but the three didn't hear him.

Rah sighed, adjusting herself to face the group of three, "Guys!"

Everyone turned around, listening to the distant screeches before following the older boy, besides the girls.

"No, no. why are you headed towards the sound?" The red head questioned.

"It's just how things work here, Red."

Max began to walk forward before noticing the lack of body beside her. "Rah?"

The girl in question just stood in place, wincing as she tried to move forward.

"Here," the redhead suggested, holding out her arms for the girl to take.

"Hurry up!" They heard from in front of them.

"Alright asshole, we're coming!"

Max chuckled as she adjusted the girl on her shoulder.

"I'm fine, really." Rah tried.

"Just stop."

The group arrived to the edge of the hill, the girls walking slowly behind. Lucas held his binoculars up to his eyes searching for the direction of the sound.

"It's the lab. They were going back home."

-

As they made their way towards the lab, and out of the tree line, the kids were greeted with lights to their eyes from Nancy and Jonathan.

"Steve?" they questioned, the older boy reciprocating them.

"What are you doing here?"

"We're looking for Mike and Will." Nancy told them

"They're not in there, are they?"

"We're not sure. Why?"

No one had time to answer as a loud screech was heard, coming from the building in front of them.

Rah shivered from beside Max, remembering everything she had endured a few years prior.

"Hey, you okay?" The red haired girl asked,

"I'm fine." Rah replied absentmindedly, looking up at the lab.

Max caught her line of sight, following it up to the building before them, making the connection.

"Don't worry, they won't get you again." The girl reassured, "I'll make sure."

Rah looked over at the other girl, smiling before she felt hands on her shoulders.

"Rah? Oh my gosh, what happened?" Nancy rushed. "There's blood everywhere."

The girl just looked up at her, smiling sheepishly before turning her head to look back up at the lab.

"The powers back."

Everyone looked up to see what she was talking about before they all rushed back over towards the guards box, Dustin pushing Jonathan out of the way so he could try open the gate.

Rah walked off from them, leaving Max's side. The girl raised an eyebrow as she watched the blonde move off towards the gate.

Rah put her hands around the furthest bar of the gate, pushing against it until she heard a creak. All eyes turned to her as she pushed it open.

The girl turned back to the group, watching as they stood staring at her,

"Are you going or not?" she retorted, moving out of the way so that Nancy and Jonathan could drive past.

"What the hell." she heard Dustin mutter.

Max walked back over towards her, wrapping her arm back around her shoulder. "That was awesome."

Rah just smirked back at her.

The group waited impatiently for Nancy and Jonathan's return. Steve playing with something he found in the guards box, Rah leaning against Max while the two other boys paced back and forth.

Suddenly Jonathans car came flying past, Hoppers following behind, pulling up in front of them.

"Let's go." the man instructed as he wound down the window.

They all piled into the back of the car, Rah hopping into the passenger seat.

"Hey Dad." the girl greeted her father.

Hopper looked towards his daughter, smile dropping as he saw the state of her.

"What have you done, kid?"

Rah grinned up at her dad, an eye twitching as she tried to hide the pain in her back.

"Y'know, just the usual."