Shot - Jay Halstead

You started at the puddle of blood that was right next to your feet. It should've been a day off; your happy day. But that was now ruined as you sat down next to the blood of your boyfriend, Jay Halstead. Police asked questions, but you were in no state to answer them. You just looked at the blood, the images flashing in front of you. Jay looked at you like he knew he wasn't going to make it. Your hands are still covered in his blood.

"Y/N?" Adam kneeled down in front of you, carefully grabbing your hand.

Your head shot up. Tears burning in your eyes.

"We're going to the hospital, okay. Will is waiting for us there. Voight and Antonio are also heading there."

You didn't answer. Adam helped you up from the ground and put you in his car.

"I think she's in shock, which is not weird given the circumstances," doctor Charles said to the team. He tried to converse with you, but all you did was stare at your hands, which were now clean.

"Can I sit with her?" Will asked.

"Of course. Take it slow; maybe try to talk to her." Doctor Charles walked away.

Will turned to Voight. "Was she the only witness there?"

Voight slowly nodded. "They were in a tunnel. Nobody else was there. We only have the camera that shows us the car driving by, shooting at Jay and Y/N, but that's it. We have to talk to her, but I'm not going to upset her anymore. Try to see what she knows. We'll run the license plate and see what we can do."

Will nodded, leaving the team behind and walking to the emergency room you were in. You were still sitting in the same position.

"Hey, Y/N," Will said as he sat down on a chair next to your bed. He carefully laid a hand on yours. He looked at you and saw a tear streaming down your face. "You're safe. Nothing is going to happen to you." More tears followed. Will sat on the edge of the bed. "They're taking good care of Jay. You did a good job of trying to stop the bleeding."

A sob left your mouth. Will moved closer and wrapped his arms around you. Heartbreaking sobs left your mouth.

"He's in good hands," Will said again.

The two of you sat there while you let it all out. Once you stopped crying, you pulled back from Will. Your hands were shaking like crazy.

"Antonio is still here. If you're up for it, he really needs to talk to you."

You nodded your head. "Yes, whatever they need. But please, stay with me."

"I'm not going anywhere after I get Antonio."

You nodded. Will left the room and came back several minutes later with Antonio.

"How are you doing?" he asked.

Tears welt up in your eyes again, and you were unable to answer. Will grabbed your hand again. Antonio sat down on the chair next to your bed.

"Take your time with answering the questions. Did you see the shooter?"

You shook your head. "They... They were in a... in a car. Black, big, it looks like one of the cars Voight drives in."

"Can you walk me through what happened? Why were you walking through that tunnel?"

"We were on our way to a restaurant. Jay... he uhm... he wanted to go there for a while now. Today would be the perfect day for that." Tears rolled down your cheek. You didn't even bother wiping them away. "We were walking when this car drove by. They came from ahead first. And they... they turned around, and I heard shots. Jay pulled me down and then noticed the blood. There was a lot of blood... his blood. I tried to... I tried to stop the bleeding. And after that, it's just blank until Will started to talk to me."

"Did Jay get into a fight outside of work recently?"

You shook your head.

"Did he talk about anyone he put away that was going to be released?"

You shook your head again. "We barely spoke in-depth about work and what happened. Most of the time, we left our work at the door."

"Most of the time?"

"Like anyone else, we sometimes needed to vent about what had happened that day. Jay didn't do that as much as me, though."

"Anyone that pissed you off and maybe wanted to go after Jay?"

"No."

"Do you remember anything else?"

You wanted to shake your head, but something popped up in your head. "That car, or something that looked like it, drove by our house a few days ago. Jay just got home from work and was walking up to the door. And they yelled something, right before they... before..." You couldn't say it.

"What did they say, Y/N?"

"This is what you get for murdering an innocent girl."

Antonio shot a loot at Will before he thanked you and rushed out of the room.

You looked at Will. "Do you know what that is about it?"

"I..."

"Don't lie to me, Will. Not now."

Will sighed. "Jay told me about a case. It was that one night when he didn't come home and turned out to be passed out at my house."

"Yeah, I know that night."

"Earlier that day, a little girl came into the hospital with gunshot wounds; she didn't make it. It turned out that Jay shot her. He hit the offender, and the bullet somehow hit the girl. Jay was drunk off his ass that night. I picked him up from the bar. He went there after he went to see the mother. It was pretty bad, Y/N. It was an accident, and he blamed himself. He didn't want to tell you because he was afraid that you would look at him differently. So he didn't tell you."

"Oh my god," was all you could say.

Doctor Rhodes knocked on the door before opening it.

"How is he doing?" Will asked.

"He's in the ICU. He is stable for now. You can see him in about half an hour. We just want to give him a little time to see how he's doing after he wakes up. I'll come to get you once you can go to see him."

"Thanks, Connor."

Doctor Rhodes nodded and left.

"But back to the girl. Obviously, it was an accident. Why would they shoot him?"

Will shrugged his shoulders. "Because it was still his bullet that killed an innocent little girl."

"My god. One, he should've told me. Two, I hope those dickheads get what they deserve."

"Yeah, I hope so too."

It took a little longer than half an hour before Rhodes came to get you. But you were now sitting next to Jay his bed. You just told him about who could've possibly shot him, and to say he was upset was an understatement.

"I never thought they would do something like this. And I'm so sorry I didn't tell you. I just..."

"I know. Will explained it. Just try to calm down. You just had massive surgery."

Jay rolled his eyes but softly squeezed your hand.

"You're going to be okay, and they got the guys who did this. I just wished you would've talked to me. I know it's not easy and never will be, but I'm here for you. For the good and the bad, and I will never look at you differently. I know who you are, and I know your heart; it's in the right place. I would've known it was an accident. I would've believed you when you told me that. Next time, please talk to me whenever something like that happens. Or whatever happens. I'm always here. Always."

"I love you," was Jay his only response.

You slightly smiled and kissed his hand. He was going to be just fine.