Hospital - Jay Halstead

When you got the call from Will that Jay was in the hospital, you went there as fast as you could. He was shot again, and it was touch and go for a while. Will didn't want to call until they had some news. You were a little bit angry about that. You just went about your day like nothing happened while your boyfriend got shot. He was fighting for his life, and you had no idea.

Entering the hospital, ER nurse Maggie took you to see him immediately. He was still asleep. There were some cuts on his face. Other than that, you couldn't see he was shot. You sat beside the bed and carefully grabbed his hand, not wanting to hurt him.

"Hey, I saw you walking in with Maggie." Will was standing in the door frame.

You looked at him before looking back at Jay. He was still asleep. You let his hand go and walked out of the room. Will followed you with a confused look.

"You should've called me sooner. You should've called me as soon as they brought him in, Will."

"Y/N, I-."

"I don't care if he was dying or if it was bad. I should've been here. I should've been in that waiting room. Not at work, just going about my day." Tears welled up in your eyes.

Will saw it and pulled you closer. "I know. I'm sorry. It was... It was bad this time, Y/N. We had no idea if he wasn't going to make it, and I wanted to save you from that heartbreak just a little longer."

You pulled back and looked at Will, wiping the tears from your face. "What the hell happened? Why is it always him?"

"I don't know that much, only that they tried to save someone, and Jay got caught in the line of fire trying to save an innocent man."

You looked at Jay, who now had his eyes open and looked confused at you and Will. "He's awake," you said as you walked into the room again.

"When can I get out of here?" was the first thing Jay asked.

"Easy cowboy, you just got shot," you sat next to the bed again and grabbed his hand.

"What were you and Will talking about?"

"You. But don't worry so much. You got shot, Jay. Again."

Jay could see how it hurt you to see him like this. God, he hated that even more than getting shot and being in the hospital. "I'm fine. The doctor said it will heal just fine."

"But you weren't Jay. Will told me that you were dying. You lost so much blood that he didn't even want to call me."

"But he did, right?"

"Just an hour ago, I think? You just got out of surgery when he called."

"He should've called you sooner."

"I know. We talked it out. Next time he will." Next time... you didn't even want to think about it, but you knew it was going to happen again one day. Jay thought with his heart, and if he thought someone was in trouble, he would catch a bullet over and over again to save them.

"Just rest so that I can take you home soon." You pressed a kiss against his hand.

At the end of the day, he got discharged because he kept pissing people off. He needed to stay in bed for a couple of days, and Will would check up on him daily. You helped with putting his jacket on.

"Let's get out of here," he sighed before grabbing your hand, and the two of you walked out of the hospital. You helped Jay in the car. It was weird having Jay in the passenger seat. Usually, you would be there.

"I feel like a househusband," Jay mumbled.

You chuckled but didn't say anything. The ride home was quiet. Once you parked in the parking garage, you helped Jay out of the car again and made it upstairs to your apartment. You helped Jay get to bed and texted Will that he was home safe. Jay put on the TV as you started to clean the kitchen. You always cleaned when you were stressed. Having him home so soon after being shot stressed you out. If he started bleeding again or something else would happen, you had no idea what to do. You had will on speed dial in case something would happen, or you needed him for some reason. You wish this was the last time you would ever have to deal with it, but you knew that wasn't true. Jay would get hurt again. He would probably end up in a hospital again. Sometimes you wondered if the stress was all worth it. Every time your phone rang, you had a slight heart attack that you would get another call where they would tell you that Jay got hurt again. You were so afraid that one day you'll get the call where they would say that he didn't make it, that he wasn't going home. Ever since you met Jay, you were sure that you had lost ten years of your life. But you loved him so much. You couldn't break up with him. Sometimes love was stronger than fear.

When your phone rang, you got shaken out of your thoughts; Voight was calling you. You picked up the phone as you sat down on the couch.

"How is he?"

"In bed at home. The doctors got sick of him," you chuckled.

"Sound like Jay. I also called to see how you were doing?"

"I'm... fine. We're okay."

"You sure?"

"Did you catch the guy who shot him?"

"Yep. He is going away for a long time, Y/N. We're all here if you if you need anything."

That was all you needed to break down. Tears streamed down your cheeks as you tried to hold in your sobs. "Thanks... I... I have to go," you said and hung up. You threw your phone next to you on the couch and buried your face in your tears, letting all the tears silently come out.

"Babe, you okay?"

Your head shot up. Jay was standing in the door frame of your bedroom.

"I'm fine," you said as you wiped away your tears.

"Obviously, you're not." Jay sat next to you on the couch. "Come on, you can tell me."

You briefly looked at him before looking down at your hands. "Sometimes, I just wish that this would be the last time that you ended up in the hospital. That I wouldn't have to worry every time the phone rang, or you would come home with another bruise on your face. Sometimes it's just too much."

Jay said nothing and just wrapped his good arm around you. "But I'm okay. And I promise-."

"You can't promise that you are going to be okay or that you will always come home. You can't. Because one day, that promise will be broken, and I can't handle that." You looked at Jay, who also had tears in his eyes.

"I know..." Jay pulled you closer to him. "I'm sorry for putting all that on you. I hate that part of the job. But we always try to be as safe as we can, and I will always try to make it home to you. Because I love you so much. I couldn't imagine my life without you. I'm sorry."

"I know. It's who you are, Jay. You have to get out there and save people. You would die if you had a desk job or probably if you did anything else. Sometimes it's just too much. But we'll be okay."

"Always."