Sorry - Jay Halstead

Having an ex is never easy. Working with them is way worse. It's even worse if he is your partner. Even after breaking up, you still had to work closely together. The first week was hell. The second week was rough. You were now in the third week, and everything was going a little better. You were going from house to house to ask some questions about an indecent that took place down the street. You hoped someone saw anything, but the people weren't very helpful. You and Jay had decided to split up, so he worked on the house next to you. You knocked on the door. "Chicago P.D. I just wanted to ask you a few questions about an incident yesterday," you said before knocking again.

The door didn't even open. Before you registered what was going on, it was already too late. Shots were being fired, and you felt like the air was punched right out of your lungs. With a hard thud, you fell down the steps.

"Y/N!" Jay yelled as he rushed over to you.

You were gasping for air.

"Come on, stay with me," he said as he ripped open your vest to see if any of the bullets went through.

"This is 50-21 George. I need an ambo to our location right now. An officer has been shot."

Jay put his radio down and focused on you. There was no blood, so none of the bullets went through. He lifted up your shirt, and he could see the big bruise forming.

"Come on, hang on. The ambulance is on its way," Jay said. There was nothing he could do to help. The bullets didn't get through the vest, but your breathing was so erratic that you probably broke a few ribs.

"I'm... sorry," you croaked out.

"Don't talk. Just try to breathe, okay? You're going to be okay."

You squeezed Jay's hand. He looked at you. By the look in your eyes, he could see what you wanted to tell him.

"I know. I'm sorry too. We'll talk about this later, okay? Just hang on."

Your vision became blurry. Jay was still talking to you, but his voice was fading away. Before you knew it, you were pulled into total darkness.

Waking up, there was an annoying beep. Jay was the first one to notice you were awake. With a smile on his face, he looked at you. "There is my sleeping beauty." Everyone in the room noticed what Jay said.

"I'm still breathing," you mumbled.

"Barley, but you're going to be fine. Did they give you the good stuff?"

You slowly nodded your head. "I'm sorry, Jay."

"Me too, alright? Yesterday made me realize even more that I don't want to ever lose you."

A grin formed on your face. "Only you remember what you lost when you don't have it anymore, Halstead."

"Back to jokes already? Maybe..." Jay didn't say it. "You can joke all you want. I love hearing your bad jokes."

You smiled as Jay pressed a kiss on your head. "We're okay?" you asked him.

"Yeah... well, I am. You not so much."

You slapped him on his arm. "I can let Adam kick your ass, so you're not okay as well."

Jay rolled his eyes but smiled. "Nah, thanks. I've got to take care of my girlfriend."

"Oh, do I know her?"

"Yes, actually. She is super smart, a very fast runner, and she can cook a damn good lasagna."

"Keep going," you chuckled.

"I will. For the rest of our lives," Jay said as he placed another kiss on your head.