Broken heart syndrome P2 - Halstead Sister x Connor Rhodes

It has been two months since both of your brothers left you and Natalie behind. What was supposed to be a happy day turned into a disaster. You ended up in the hospital with broken heart syndrome. Your boyfriend was now the only family you had left. It took you a while to get back on your feet and not feel like your heart was being crushed. You took it hard, your brothers leaving, but you got better, and now you were back at work. You were working in the ED. Natalie stepped out of a room and looked like she had seen a ghost.

"Nat, are you okay?"

"Yeah... Uhm... you should..." she points at the room.

You frowned as you walked over to her and stepped into the room. You couldn't believe your eyes. Your brother, Will, was here like nothing happened.

"Hey," he smiles.

"Hey? Are you fucking kidding me?" You raise your voice at him.

"I thought you'd be happy to see me."

"Happy? No, far from that. I don't know what you thought would happen, and I don't care. You don't talk to me. You don't call me. If you're returning to work, let me know so I can change my schedule or look for another job. But I don't want to see you, ever. Or Jay. So you can tell him to fuck off too. You leave me alone, or I swear to god you wished you had stayed in protective custody." With that being said, you turned around and left the room. You stormed into the doctor's lounge and grabbed your coat.

"Y/N, you okay?" It's Maggie.

"Yes. No. I need to go. I can't...."

The door went open, and Jay and Will both stepped into the lounge.

"I'll leav-."

"No, you don't leave me alone, Maggie, because I will hurt these idiots," you hiss. Maggie looked at you confused, but something by the way you looked told her you were serious.

"Y/N, come on, don't be so dramatic," Jay says.

"Dramatic? Are you kidding me? I ended up in the hospital because of you two! The only blood relatives I had left were gone. They left me. They didn't speak to me for months, and now they are here like nothing happened. You don't tell me what to do. Not anymore. Like I said to Will. You leave me alone. You don't call, you don't text, you don't come to see me, or I swear to god you wished you had stayed into protective custody."

You tried to walk out of the lounge, but Jay grabbed your arm. "We had no choice. Will was in danger. We had to leave."

"What about me? Did you even think about what it would do to me? Will was safe, and you were with him. But what about me? What about me?! You two left. You left me, and I..." you couldn't finish your sentence. Jay, let go of your arm. You let yourself sink into a chair. You were out of breath.

"Will, get Connor down here, now," you hear Maggie say.

"Y/N, Connor is on his way. Is anything hurting?"

"My chest," you croak out. That same feeling from that night was back.

"Jay, help me get her to a room."

You shake your head as you hold up your hand, trying to push Jay away.

"Y/N, don't be stubborn right now."

Tears roll down your cheeks as Jay and Maggie bring you to a room. You were hooked on monitors and got a nasal cannula to help you breathe.

"Maggie, what the hell happened when we were gone?" Jay asked.

Will was standing next to Jay next to the door.

"Broken heart syndrome," you say out of breath. The colour in Will's face disappeared.

"What's that?" Jay asks, confused.

"It's... it's a heart condition caused by overwhelming stress and emotions."

"You did that." You looked at Jay and then at Will. You could see the pain in their eyes, but you didn't care. "You left me without saying what was happening. You just disappeared. The only blood family I had, left. I was a mess for weeks. I get that Will was in trouble, but what about me? How could you just leave me behind?"

"To keep you safe! Nobody knew you were our sister. They didn't know who you were, and we needed to keep it that way. The unit looked out for you when we were gone. I'm sorry, but we had to keep you safe," Jay explained as a tear rolled down his face.

"You should've told me." Tears now rolled down your cheeks as well.

"Y/N! What's going on!" Connor came rushing into the room.

"She's doing well. Just a little scare," Maggie explains.

"Let's monitor her for a few hours," Ethan says before he and Maggie leave the room.

Connor kissed you on the head before looking at your brothers. He was angry, but he didn't know how you felt towards them.

Jay sighs. But Will was the first one to say something. "I know we should've told you something. But we knew this would be for the best. We knew you had Connor looking out for you and basically every ED doctor or nurse. We knew Jay's unit would be looking out for you, so we knew you would be safe. I'm sorry for what you went through. I truly am so sorry. But it wasn't easy for us too."

"Did you end up at the hospital?" you ask Will. "Did you have broken heart syndrome? I don't think so."

"Look, we can't tell you any details because the case hasn't been solved, but trust me, Y/N, Will has been through enough as well. We all have, so can we please put this crap behind us? All we wanted to do was come home and hug our sister," Jay says.

You rolled your eyes. "I just..." you sigh. "It will take some time before it will get back to normal. Because I'm still...." you weren't mad. You were sad, disappointed. And maybe a little mad too. "We'll be okay."