From best to worst - Jay Halstead

You smile as he wraps his arms around you. Slowly you swayed along to the beat of the music. It was just the two of you, and you couldn't be happier.

"I love you so much," Jay whispered in your air.

"I love you too."

Jay let you go and got down on one knee. "I know this is so cliche, but it feels like the right moment. I don't have a ring. Will you marry me?"

"Yes," you said without hesitating. You lowered yourself down and kissed Jay like it was the first time. Fireworks went off in your body. You had never felt so happy before.

You stared at his lifeless body. Yesterday you were so happy, and today he was fighting for his life. While being on a case, a bomb went off. Jay happened to be standing too close. Nobody else off the team got hurt, only Jay. For two hours, you have been standing at the exact same spot. You were leaning against the window that watched over the hallway. You couldn't move any closer to him.

"Y/N, you should go home. Take a shower." Voight laid a hand on your shoulder.

"I'm not going anywhere." You didn't even tell the team, your friends, that you got engaged last night. His brother probably didn't no either.

"He's not going to wake up any time soon."

You turned your head as Will walked into the room. "They put him in an induced coma, so his body can fully rest. We all know how Jay gets in hospitals. They will look at it day by day to see when he can wake up."

"Can or if?" you mumbled.

"Once they stop giving him the medication to keep him in the coma, it's up to him. We can't say anything about that yet," Will replied.

You looked at him. "Tell me. What are we talking about here? 50/50? 60/40? What are the numbers, Will?"

"We don't know."

Suddenly you felt like you couldn't breathe. It felt like all of the air was sucked out of the room. You ran out of the room, down the hall, trying to get out. When you couldn't open the door to the stairwell, a pair of hands pulled you away.

"Calm down, Y/N. He's going to be fine. It's Jay we're talking about here. He has been in the hospital way too many times, and he didn't die before," Adam said. His arms wrapped closer around your body.

You broke out in sobs. "I can't lose him." Your legs gave out under you, and you both sank to the ground. You cried in his chest and kept repeating that you couldn't lose him. It was heartbreaking to see. "He didn't even buy me a ring," you then cried out. The entire team, including Will, then looked at you.

"A ring?" Adam asked.

You looked ups t him. "He proposed to me yesterday. He proposed without a ring, and I said yes. He didn't even buy a ring."

Nobody said a thing. They had no idea. They were so happy for the two of you but so heartbroken at the same time.

After some time, you got up from the ground without saying anything and walked to Jay's room. You sat down next to him, grabbing his hand. "Please don't leave me," you whispered.

Three weeks had passed. They took Jay out of his induced coma a week ago. Yesterday he started to slowly wake up but drifted in and out of consciousness. Today, he had his eyes open longer.

"Hey," you smiled.

Jay looked around, confused, before his eyes found you. "Hi," he croaked out. Happy tears welled up in your eyes. He was awake and talking. "I still don't have a ring," he mumbled.

All you could do was laugh. "That's totally fine, silly. I'm just glad you're okay," you said before kissing his head. He was going to be just fine.