Which one? - Jay Halstead / Matt Casey

For the first time in a while, you came together with some of your friends from Med. With detective Jay Halstead being your boyfriend and firefighter Matt Casey being your brother, you got to know the women at Med quite well. Tonight was one of the first nights in a while were you finally came together for a drink. You hosted it this time, so Natalie, Maggie, and April were now sitting in your living room.

"So, how is it going with Jay?" Natalie asks.

"Very good actually. He moved in a few weeks ago, and it has been quite fun so far," you  smile.

"I can imagine. Does he make long days?"

"It depends. When they have a case, he could come home in the middle of the night, but we communicate well, so he always calls me if it's like that."

"And Matt, how is he doing?" Maggie asks.

Before you can answer, you get interrupted by the bell ringing.

"I'll be right back." You put down your glass of wine and walk towards the door. From the window next to it, you can see Adam standing in front of your door. With the fast beating heart, you open the door. You look at Adam in fear. "Which one?" Your voice cracks.

Adam steps inside, as he places a hand on your shoulder. His eyes are filled with sorrow. "Both of them."

For a moment, you blankly stare at Adam, like you didn't just hear what he said. Your whole world crumples. Tears well up in your eyes. "What happened?" You sob as Adam pulls you closer.

"Why don't we go to the hospital? Everyone is already there."

You nod, as you pull back and dry your cheeks.

"Y/N, what's going on?" All of the women appear in the hallway.

"It's Jay and Matt. They're at Med," Adam says.

"Oh god. You go. We'll lock up and meet you there, okay?" Maggie says.

"Do you want one of us to go with you?" Natalie asks.

You shake your head. "I'll see you there."

The ride to the hospital has been a blur. Walking into the waiting room in the ED, you're overwhelmed with how many people there are. There are people from P.D. and the station. You spot Chief Boden and Sergeant Voight talking to each other away from the crowd. You quickly make your way over there. "What happened? How are they doing?"

"We're so sorry, Y/N," Voight starts. "They got a call about a fire, which happened to be a house were our suspect was. Before they knew, they went in, not knowing what could be happening inside. When we arrived at the scene, Jay was the first one at the door. Casey got out of the house, he was hurt. Jay helped him and they both got shot from behind. They're both in surgery. They were alive when they got brought in."

You let out a breath of relief. At least they are alive.

"Y/N?"

You turn around and see Kelly Severide walking towards you, followed by doctor Marcel.

"How are they?" you ask.

"I don't know about Jay. I'm operating on Matt, but we need you to make a decision. There is a bleed in his lung. In order to stop it and safe his life, we need to remove it."

"But he can't be a firefighter with one lung," Kelly adds.

Tears well up in your eyes. "I n-need to m-make that decision?"

Both Marcel and Kelly nod. "We need a decision now, Y/N."

"So he will live and hate me forever, or he could die and that would be my fault... What change are we talking about of him dy... dying? Is there nothing else you can do?"